Old 16-07-2008, 11:17 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default algae

I've got algae with all this hot weather. Suggestions?
Old 17-07-2008, 06:49 AM posted to rec.ponds

UV and a veggie filter. some shading helps too. Ingrid

Old 17-07-2008, 11:09 AM
Registered User

Depending on the size of the pond it is easy to pull out yourself, however uv lighting soon gets rid of this. I needs to be removed or the fish get it stuck in their gills and thus will die

kathryn

www.carreglefn-nurseries.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootseug View Post
I've got algae with all this hot weather. Suggestions?
Old 18-07-2008, 01:49 AM posted to rec.ponds

On Jul 16, 9:49*pm, wrote:
UV and a veggie filter. *some shading helps too. *Ingrid

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 14:17:04 -0700 (PDT), tootseug wrote:
I've got algae with all this hot weather. Suggestions?- Hide quoted text -

I know what the uv is but not the vegie filter. I do have shading, as
many, many waterlilies.
Old 19-07-2008, 12:03 AM posted to rec.ponds

do a google search for veggie filter koi pond
mine: http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/mypond.htm

basically, build a shallow box filled with water plants (celery and cyperus are good
bare root) and run water in one side or end, let the water fall back into the pond at
the other side/end. many people also use water hyacinth and water lettuce. the idea
is the plants pull the wastes out of the water. Ingrid

Old 19-07-2008, 01:29 AM posted to rec.ponds

try this:

http://www.wernersponds.com/veggiefilter.html
Old 24-07-2008, 04:08 AM
Pond Life's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Earth

and this...
http://pond-life.me.uk/ponds/filtration/vegfilter.php
Old 31-07-2008, 03:52 PM posted to rec.ponds

Pond Life wrote:
and this...
http://tinyurl.com/6gaheb

There may be life on this list after all.

The above mentions that his veggie filter comes after his mechanical
filter and his BIO filter. I thought the veggie filter is a bio filter.

If I have this straight, it goes like this-

pond mech bio veggie bottom overflows veggie top back to pond
via falls

What is the bio filtering, how is it doing it, and why is it needed with
a veggie filter?

Chip
Old 31-07-2008, 05:18 PM posted to rec.ponds

my veggie filter is my biofilter. I DO have a bucket that contains my pump and over
that is some filter material to mainly keep the pump from getting fouled with stuff.
but it also works in winter as a biofilter (I guess). I clean the bucket out in
spring and fall. I clean the veggie filter out in fall only. most just use a shop
vac to suction out the mulm (which goes right on to my flower beds!)

Old 23-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Registered User

You can use any good filter, then clean your tank in one or two week or products come in market for algae problem. Use it.
Pond Kits