GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   New visiter to pond (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/1784-new-visiter-pond.html)

Bob 22-02-2003 02:51 PM

New visiter to pond

WOW I thought it to be too early for frogs .............( I live in
lower Alabama on the gulf)..........but I was awakened last night
during a rain storm by the calling of a bull frog coming from my
pond,................. I got up and went out (2AM) to see if i could
spot it but it stopped and didn't start again ................My
questions is will he move on since I don't have small fish for him to
feed on?.( NO GOLDFISH) only large KOI .........................I
don't know if I should try ..( or if I can )...to. relocate him, as
last year we had many small frogs and one leopard frog that I became
fond of, and would not want him to be a meal for my new visiter.
You may see our pond at:

www.gulftel.com/seadogs

K30a 22-02-2003 03:51 PM

New visiter to pond

I know other people can catch bullfrogs, probably depends on the configuration
of their ponds.
My youngest son can catch them, accompanied by one of the water gardening
labradors. The best method is to spotlight them at night and sneak a net up in
front of and behind them. When caught turn them over on their backs and they
stop struggling and you can release them from the net much easier.

good luck!
k30a

Steve in 236 22-02-2003 05:15 PM

New visiter to pond

Bob wrote in message ...
WOW I thought it to be too early for frogs .............( I live in
lower Alabama on the gulf)..........but I was awakened last night
during a rain storm by the calling of a bull frog coming from my
pond,................. I got up and went out (2AM) to see if i could
spot it but it stopped and didn't start again ................My
questions is will he move on since I don't have small fish for him to
feed on?.( NO GOLDFISH) only large KOI .........................I
don't know if I should try ..( or if I can )...to. relocate him, as
last year we had many small frogs and one leopard frog that I became
fond of, and would not want him to be a meal for my new visiter.
You may see our pond at:

www.gulftel.com/seadogs

I'm guessing you'll be shoveling sand against the tide. If one bullfrog
found your pond, others will likely follow. They eat just about anything
they can swallow including mice and other frogs. The males are territorial
so one in a small pond usually won't tollerate any interlopers, but if you
remove him, he'll likely be replaced who was kicked out of the pond down the
street.

Bob 22-02-2003 05:27 PM

New visiter to pond

On 22 Feb 2003 15:32:44 GMT, ESPMER (K30a) wrote:
Thanks K30...I went out this morning trying to locate it, but didn't
see it in the pond...have quite a few large rocks, I don't know if
it's hiding. The night before I heard something that I wasn't sure if
it was a bullfrog, but after getting up on the net and listening to
their call....it was a bullfrog, but it wasn't in the pond, but was
coming from a wooded area outside my fence. I'm wondering would it
spend it's days outside the pond and only come at night? Las year we
had many different kinds of frogs, but no bullfrogs. This guy was so
loud that he woke me up out of a sound sleep. Thanks for your
response.
Bob

K30a 22-02-2003 08:39 PM

New visiter to pond

Bob I'm wondering would it
spend it's days outside the pond and only come at night?

They are nocturnal critters. Most of their activity is at night. I didn't often
hear mine call during the day unless it was two males making noise. Mostly they
would sun during the day, I'd never see them eat during the day (but others
have). Mine would wander around the yard at night.
My son found one in the frontyard, one hung himself trying to crawl back
through an area that I had attached some wire fencing to. I found one at the
back corner, probably a male who had lost the battle and was trying to find a
new pond (wonder if he ever made it to the swimming pool down the block? ;-)

k30a

Bob 23-02-2003 01:15 AM

New visiter to pond

On 22 Feb 2003 20:33:37 GMT, ESPMER (K30a) wrote:

Bob I'm wondering would it
spend it's days outside the pond and only come at night?

They are nocturnal critters. Most of their activity is at night. I didn't often
hear mine call during the day unless it was two males making noise. Mostly they
would sun during the day, I'd never see them eat during the day (but others
have). Mine would wander around the yard at night.
My son found one in the frontyard, one hung himself trying to crawl back
through an area that I had attached some wire fencing to. I found one at the
back corner, probably a male who had lost the battle and was trying to find a
new pond (wonder if he ever made it to the swimming pool down the block? ;-)

Well I'm all set for tonite with my spot light and net in hand

k30a

You may see our pond at:

www.gulftel.com/seadogs