Old 05-11-2008, 11:19 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default winterize a small pond

Hello,
I live in Missouri and I have a small plastic pond tub approx.35 gal.
There are no fish,( well there was but they disappeared late summer we
suspect largebirds). We do have a few plants in containers and a few
floating. How do I winterize the pond to prevent the plastic liner
from cracking? And is it possible to keep the plants alive outside?
Please respond ASAP winter is upon us.

Thank you,
Karen
Old 06-11-2008, 03:56 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default winterize a small pond Johnnie Smith talks out his ass onceagain, just to hear himself talk. What a babbling idiot Johnnie Boi Smith ofCalifornia is! [email protected] is an idiot!

On Nov 5, 8:47*pm, John Smith wrote:
wrote:
Hello,
I live in Missouri and I have a small plastic pond tub approx.35 gal.
There are no fish,( well there was but they disappeared late summer we
suspect largebirds). *We do have a few plants in containers and a few
floating. *How do I winterize the pond to prevent the plastic liner
from cracking? *And is it possible to keep the plants alive outside?
Please respond ASAP winter is upon us.

Thank you,
Karen

OK, I missed Missouri ... sorry. *Perhaps someone in Missouri can add
something? *However, what is the liner made of? *Some type of "hard
plastic?", perhaps like a childs' swimming pool?

Regards,
JS

You really do not have a clue do you Johnnie Boi Smith. Not the first
clue whatsoever on what your answering, not even a smidgen of a
clue.

Karen.do your self a favor and go to the rec.ponds.moderated usenet
group or another ponding /. aquatic plant grouip like Koiphen.com or
Gardenweb.com where foks that answer know what they are tyalking about
and not talking through their ass, like Johnnie Boi. Living in
Kornifornia and winterizing a pond is not lik,e living in Missouri and
doing the same thing. There are lots of folks with ponds in your state
who patronize those gorups. Look around you on this group..is there
really anyone here that has a purpose.NOPE.

Johnnie Smith is totally wrong on his suggestions........Hard plastic
like a childs swimming pool.come on Johnnie boi they freeze abd bust
like glass inthe temps Missouri can get down to.......MOsrt if not all
aquatic plants can merely be dug up or pulled out of pond placed in
damp newspapers andplaced in a container under somehting like peatmoss
and placed in a cool dark area until spring time and do just fine. You
need tokeep water in the pond so frozen ground and water can butt up
against each other, or drain it and fill pond with sand since its only
35 gal or so, anbd cover with plastic. This keeps the ground from
freeing and pushing the hole / container in as much, but merely
lett8ing water init works too if its a decenty or typical ridgid
plastic pond. Depending on plants some may or may not make it so its
best unless a real plant person can tell you otherwise to bury em in
peat moss etc and bring em inside. Usually a pond of your size does
not really have any substantial depth to do its inhabitants much good
in freezing weather. Depth is the key for cold weather.

Old 16-11-2008, 04:15 AM posted to rec.ponds

Hi Karen,
Checkout the more competently moderated message boards such as Koiphen
or koishack, I doubt any serious water gardener or ponder would want
to waste their time on message boards which have deteriorated to the
extent that rec.ponds, or scamericanponders have sunk

winterize pond ken Ponds 18 17-11-2005 03:12 AM
How to winterize rose trees (tree roses?)? Maggie's Mom Roses 6 30-07-2004 01:11 PM
How to winterize rose trees (tree roses?)? Maggie's Mom Roses 0 25-07-2004 05:35 PM
Where to Place a Jasmine and How to Winterize It? Jay Chan Gardening 0 07-07-2004 09:02 PM
How do I winterize English Ivy? TOM KAN PA Gardening 11 16-10-2003 02:02 AM