Old 05-08-2009, 11:03 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default smaller pump

hi first day here, i got a titan 5500 for my pond to replace smaller
pump, turned it on and all it does is overflow my filter box (its a
small box).do i need to get a bigger box, or make the outlet larger?my
pond is 2.5 x1800x1.5 deep please help many thanks i live in
southampton

for more info:

http://www.123maza.com/1011/copper
Old 01-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Doghouse Riley's Avatar
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisha priya View Post
hi first day here, i got a titan 5500 for my pond to replace smaller
pump, turned it on and all it does is overflow my filter box (its a
small box).do i need to get a bigger box, or make the outlet larger?my
pond is 2.5 x1800x1.5 deep please help many thanks i live in
southampton

for more info:

http://www.123maza.com/1011/copper
I've kept koi for over twenty years.

But like all koi keepers say about their set up. "If I were to build it again...I wouldn't do it like this!"
The important thing to remember about filters is to get a balance between flow rate and "dwell time" (the amount of time the water stays in the filter to enable the bacteria to work). If the water is rushing through it at a rate of knots the filter isn't going to be that effective. I've an Oase pump (it's been running 24/7 for eight years) which is I think is certainly no bigger than yours, for a 3000 gall installation. The volume of my filter set-up is about 180 gallons. I've long forgotten what my flow rate is, but the water isn't rushing out, though it returns via a group of four 1.5" polypipes. With the help of a twenty-odd-year-old home made UV sterilzer on a by-pass, the water stays clear. But I've also a bottom drain and a 60 gallon sump/pump chamber which I purge to waste regularly.

As you've got the pump now, which I know are expensive, you're options are a bit limited, I'd suggest you slow the rate down, either by restricting the flow, or better still by diverting some of the water away from the filter.
"I don't mind if you don't like my manners!
I don't like 'em myself! They're pretty bad.
I grieve over them on long winter evenings."