Old 23-02-2003, 10:08 PM
Craig Cagle

Default Green Water and UV Sterilizer

Hi all,

I live in south Texas (zone 9) and we are already into spring it seems. The
temp today is 80! Anyway, the algae has definately started earlier than my
plants, and I can't see my goldfish until they surface! The water is
GREEEEN. My lilies are starting to reach the surface and there are new
signs of plant growth, but I am considering getting a UV for my 1000 gal.
pond to clear it up. Any suggestions of brand or size? Or should I wait and
see if the plant growth will slow the algae down?

Thanks in advance.
Craig

Old 23-02-2003, 11:55 PM
Steve J. Noll

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 21:56:19 GMT, "Craig Cagle"
wrote:

Hi all,

I live in south Texas (zone 9) and we are already into spring it seems. The
temp today is 80! Anyway, the algae has definately started earlier than my
plants, and I can't see my goldfish until they surface! The water is
GREEEEN. My lilies are starting to reach the surface and there are new
signs of plant growth, but I am considering getting a UV for my 1000 gal.
pond to clear it up. Any suggestions of brand or size? Or should I wait and
see if the plant growth will slow the algae down?

Thanks in advance.
Craig

Aqua Ultraviolet is one of the top brands:
http://www.aquaultraviolet.com/

Whatever brand you get - don't buy the lowest power unit or you may be
disappointed by it's performance. People who have UV's are generally
overjoyed by their performance. The only complaint I've ever seen
about them is when someone bought one too small for their pond.

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California (zone 10)
Old 24-02-2003, 08:31 PM
Lee Brouillet

I can "second" Steve's advice: those of us who live in - shall we say,
"warm" - areas of the country need more UV than those who live up North. I
have a 1200 gal. pond and my UV is rated for 4,000 gallons. Also, the higher
the rating, the faster you can pump water through it, meaning that you may
not have to worry about bypassing portions of your plumbing, or getting into
"step-down" problems. It's not that you *can't* use a smaller UV, it will
just take longer for it to work (more passes). And the sun could regenerate
the algae faster than the UV can take it out! Or, you could just wait a few
weeks to see if your plants will balance it all out. Me, I hate feeding lips
(the only thing you see in green water, when they come up to feed s), so I
"nuke" the pond!

Lee

. ..

Old 24-02-2003, 10:28 PM
~ jan

On 24 Feb 2003 14:24:09 -0600, "Lee Brouillet" wrote:

weeks to see if your plants will balance it all out. Me, I hate feeding lips
(the only thing you see in green water, when they come up to feed s), so I
"nuke" the pond!
Lee

A new definition for "lip service"? ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 24-02-2003, 11:23 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

There has got to be something off color about feeding lips in green water.

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 26-02-2003, 04:51 AM
Mrkoiguy

I recommend the UV light.. But they only work if the filter is pulling the
algae they kill out of the water, or it will still be murky. Also they take
longer to work in green water, but will eventual work though. The
recommendation is 2 watts per 100 gallons of water ( or higher ) a 25 - 40 watt
light will work for 1000 gal.
Old 28-02-2003, 01:46 AM
Trixie

(Mrkoiguy) wrote in message ...
I recommend the UV light.. But they only work if the filter is pulling the
algae they kill out of the water, or it will still be murky. Also they take
longer to work in green water, but will eventual work though. The
recommendation is 2 watts per 100 gallons of water ( or higher ) a 25 - 40 watt
light will work for 1000 gal.

I've got something similar, can't seem to get the green algae scum
gone, it grows and grows, i DO have a uv and a pondmaster filter on it
and doesn't seem to be helping, keeps growing and clogging teh heck
out of my filter, if you go to
http://www.kymberm.com/gallery/albums.php and click on the fish link
and see the pond, you'll see exactly the gook i'm dealing with. I
have 5 goldfish in my pond and a copule of frogs, I took that green
pic on Sunday, before the ice storm hit. I'm going to try a ton of
plants and hope that helps along with the uv, trying to avoid
chemicals. But have to wait until danger of freezing is over, unreal
that we got that ice storm down here in West texas!!!! Was 72 on
Saturday and 17 on monday with sleet. Wierd, anyone have any ideas of
what this is and how else i can combat it?

thanks!
Old 28-02-2003, 03:21 AM
K30a

This looks like blue-green algae,
which isn't algae but a bacteria.
Enter blue-green algae in www.google.com
and see what you come up with.

k30a
Old 28-02-2003, 05:05 AM
~ jan

Hi Trixie,

Saw the picture, UV doesn't kill algae that grows on the sides of the pond,
it only kills the suspended algae.... has your pond ever looked like a can
of pea soup? That's what the UV can clear up (usually). Now to address the
stuff you do have, you have "immature-pond algae" and you've latched on to
the fix, higher plant forms. Your water is clear, thumbs up!!!!! )
Eventually you'll get mature-pond algae, brighter prettier green, and not
quite as fuzzy, but almost. ~ jan

Old 28-02-2003, 03:03 PM
John Rutz

K30a wrote:
This looks like blue-green algae,
which isn't algae but a bacteria.
Enter blue-green algae in www.google.com
and see what you come up with.

k30a

theere was a discussion of blue green algae early last summer in my pond
--
John Rutz

I'm not Porg am not am not am so
see my pond at:
http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 02-03-2003, 11:03 PM
Trixie

Thanks Jan! I was baffled by this stuff, since my water is so nice
and clear, as soon as it is warm enough I'll trot out to the store and
load up on plants. I did this last year but had a little mishap with
a labrador, he completely tore my pond up and every plant in it and
somehow 5 goldfish came up missing. He's now at my sister's place

Old 13-05-2004, 05:02 PM

Default uv sterilizer

I didnt know how often, so I just didnt change it and it kept killing off the algae
anyway. Somebody gave me this unit so I suspect it was in use for something like 5-6
years. The wires on the end finally rusted thru and I got a new one. So I tell
people "get a new one when the old one isnt doing the job".
The other "oversell" seems to be in sizing UV for a pond. The UV somebody gave me was
for a 55 gallon aquarium. I used it on a 1600 gallon pond. Now I have a big veggie
filter but it doesnt get going well right away in spring, so my pond goes green with
algae. Turned that UV on and in 24 hours could see to the bottom.

"Col" wrote:
How often should the bulb in a UV sterilizer for a pond be changed?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.