Old 24-02-2003, 12:06 AM
joe

Default Peace Lily

I thought this NG would have the best answer for my situation. I have seen
aquarium setups that use plants with no soil as bio filters to remove waste
so I'm looking for a simular design for my aquarium but I'm not sure what
plants will work. Will peace lilies roots grow in an oxygenated water
enviroment? Of course, the plants will not be completly submerged and the
room has lots of natural sunlight.
Andre

Old 24-02-2003, 02:39 AM
~ jan

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 16:05:26 -0700, "joe" wrote:

I thought this NG would have the best answer for my situation. I have seen
aquarium setups that use plants with no soil as bio filters to remove waste
so I'm looking for a simular design for my aquarium but I'm not sure what
plants will work. Will peace lilies roots grow in an oxygenated water
enviroment? Of course, the plants will not be completly submerged and the
room has lots of natural sunlight.
Andre

Peace Lily is an excellent choice. I make Ponsai (small container ponds)
using it, Heart Leaf Philodendron, Variegated Arrowhead cuttings, and I'm
going to try a bamboo cutting, off one of those latest craze to the indoor
plant section. Btw, the other 3 plants have been in the ponsai for 2 years
now. The Philodendron (vine type) is now long enough to cover the cord
(small Becket bell fountain) all the way to the plug in. I use small 2"
pots filled with river rock to contain the roots. I think I might even have
a picture on my website under my pond pictures. At that time I was using it
outside with pond plants. ~ jan http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 25-02-2003, 02:55 AM
Sue Walsh

I agree with Jan, I grew a peace lily in my barrel garden and it did
fantastic. I just washed all the soil off the roots and put it in the
barrel and off it went.

It should be noted however, that peace lily is DEADLY TO CATS, so if
you own a cat you should not use this plant. A vet told me that there
is nothing anyone can do if a cat eats the leaves of peace lily, the
cat will die. I am very serious about this. As soon as I found this
out I removed the peace lily from my barrel garden as my cat lived in
the same area that it was located in.
Just a heads up, no cats, go for the peace lily.

P.S. It is not harmful to dogs, just cats.

Sue

Old 25-02-2003, 03:06 AM
John Rutz

Sue Walsh wrote:
I agree with Jan, I grew a peace lily in my barrel garden and it did
fantastic. I just washed all the soil off the roots and put it in the
barrel and off it went.

It should be noted however, that peace lily is DEADLY TO CATS, so if
you own a cat you should not use this plant. A vet told me that there
is nothing anyone can do if a cat eats the leaves of peace lily, the
cat will die. I am very serious about this. As soon as I found this
out I removed the peace lily from my barrel garden as my cat lived in
the same area that it was located in.
Just a heads up, no cats, go for the peace lily.

P.S. It is not harmful to dogs, just cats.

Sue

interesting
there was a local news storie that lilies were poison to cats oriental
tiger and daylilies were mentioned, now peace lilies
the thing is that bothers me there are three different plants here
Lilium , Hemoracolis, and Spathiphylum

--
John Rutz

I'm not Porg am not am not am so
see my pond at:
http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 25-02-2003, 06:42 PM
sevans

Here is a good website to check for plants toxic to cats:

http://www.cfainc.org/articles/plants.html

I would think if it is toxic to cats, it is best to keep dogs away, too?
(Just to be safe!)

Sharon

Old 25-02-2003, 07:08 PM
Nedra

Thanks for the link to that List! Holy Cow... every plant I
have - both indoor and outdoor - is on that List. I do have two
cats. So, where are we on the Peace Lily?? It doesn't occupy
any prominence on the list.

I'd say just ignore the warning ... that is what I would do if
I had the Peace Lily :O)

Nedra

Old 26-02-2003, 08:09 AM
~ jan

I have to agree with Nedra... there is always the exception of having an
animal that either accidentally, or of low intelligence, eats something it
shouldn't, but I've yet to lose an animal to eating either house or outside
plants and I'm sure many are poisonous depending on how much is ingested.
This includes plants I use in the ponds with my fish. Btw, when I had cats
I put my Peace Lily on the deck where they hung out most of the time and
they never bothered it. ~ jan

John Rutz wrote:

Sue Walsh wrote:
[...]

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 27-02-2003, 04:53 AM
RichToyBox

I think animals are smarter than people. Most animals won't eat poisonous
plants. Koi leave taro alone. My dogs and the squirrels and chipmunks
leave the castor bean alone. People on the other hand will try nearly
anything. Look at some of the stupid things they put in their mouths on
those reality TV programs.
--
RichToyBox

Old 27-02-2003, 04:53 AM
Nedra

I would go so far as to say that animals ARE smarter than people,
Rich. No other way can we rationalize why they leave poisonous
plants alone. Example, I noticed that lily of the valley is on the
poisonous list ...
yet I have a huge (8' x 8') bed of it growing adjacent to the patio.
Not one animal has ever bothered it. I have all sorts of burrowing animals
that roam the place, including raccoons, squirrels, etc. and countless dogs
and cats - not one has ever bothered it.
It has to be an inborn thing with the animals whereas the human
animal is missing this 'link'.

Nedra

Old 27-02-2003, 04:53 AM
K30a

ah, but Nedra, vee can saute up a copper pan
full of zee strange little plants with zee shallots and zee capers and splash
in a little white wine, cream and cracked pepper....... ooooo la la!
Probably is the only way you can explain snails
and truffles and liver and kidneys and brains and chocolate covered
grasshoppers!

k30a
(do not try this at home, leave it to the
professionals and eat your broccoli!)

Old 27-02-2003, 05:28 AM
Nedra

LOL!! I didn't add the shallots, capers and white vine! And
a huge dose of imagination .... why we 'sometimes' don't
make it thru dinner ;-)

Nedra

Old 27-02-2003, 03:15 PM
sevans

I think sometimes they accidentally ingest a poisonous plant. Outside they have
plenty of things to keep them occupied and busy so they generally don't bother
plants too much. Indoors they might become bored when alone and chew on a plant
just to be mischievous (along the lines of chewing up a slipper for a dog). If
they happen to chose a toxic plant, then they get their little selves in big
problems. Also it's not a bad idea to keep cat grass or live catnip plants for
indoor cats that may need some green stuff in their diet. I have indoor cats
and a peace lily and I've never had a cat bother it.

Sharon

Old 27-02-2003, 05:19 PM
BenignVanilla

"K30a" wrote in message

ah, but Nedra, vee can saute up a copper pan
full of zee strange little plants with zee shallots and zee capers and

splash
in a little white wine, cream and cracked pepper....... ooooo la la!
Probably is the only way you can explain snails
and truffles and liver and kidneys and brains and chocolate covered
grasshoppers!

Bah Humbug...toss it in a bowl of egg, drop it in a bowl of flour and then
toss it in some boiling oil. Let it float for a few minutes and then eat it
with Ketchup.

BV.

Old 27-02-2003, 07:10 PM
mad

"so-called" reality. glad mine is nothing like that!
mad
-- ooooo
oo_)))_oo
oo/ O O \oo
|----\\\\-o----U--o-////--o-|
| o o o |
|~~}((O~~}((O~~}((O~~ |
|---------------------------|
self-portrait with fish tank

From: "RichToyBox"
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 00:45:36 GMT
Subject: Peace Lily

those reality TV programs.

Tropical Peace Lily in ponds Reel McKoi Ponds 2 09-03-2007 03:46 AM
Plant Peace Lily outside? TLR Texas 5 01-04-2006 11:59 PM
Spathiphyllum, Peace Lily tvksi Gardening 13 04-11-2005 12:14 AM
Peace Lily advice Angela United Kingdom 5 05-02-2004 07:45 PM
Peace Lily Bill D Gardening 1 27-04-2003 11:44 PM