Old 24-02-2003, 04:51 AM
Justin

Default rec.ponds members directory?

Robyn Rhudy wrote in message ...
I've been thinking for a while that someone should make a directory of
those "experts" from rec.ponds to whom new pond addicts can send their
questions. Yes, there are a number of us out there but it'd be nice I
think to have everyone's name in one spot. People who are longtime
posters,
experts, experienced ponders, helpful ponders, etc. could be on the list.
It could include name, location, web site if they have one, year started
keeping ponds, number of ponds, profession, area of expertise, etc.
Commercial sites would not be allowed unless the person was good at
answering questions without pushing their products. New ponders could get
advise from many people at once if they wanted or find the one who knew
the most about a particular area. People on the list would have to be
good at actually answering e-mails within a few days (unless on vacation,
sick, power out, computer dead, etc.). This list would sort of be like a
new Internet
Pond Society. I am right that the IPS is defunct, yes? A group of us
should resurrect it. It seems a few of us like myself and Justin comes to
mind are trying to carry the burden of what should be an entire group of
internet pond experts. I'm willing to put a list on my site but if
there's to be a new IPS (with a new name I guess), that's something a
group of us should do and not just one or two people. Wouldn't it
be nice to have a pond newsletter from an organization or group of
people so it would gain more prestige? Anyway,
I just wanted to get these ideas off my chest if even they never come to
anything. What do you think? Thanks!

Sounds good to me Robyn. I wish we could get it rolling.

Justin
Old 24-02-2003, 06:15 AM
Nedra

I agree with you, jammer. An email type of directory would
take away from this NG's usefulness. Just my opinion.

Nedra in Missouri
zone 6
"jammer" wrote in message
Isn't that what we do here? Besides, if there is all this personal
email going on, how will others learn? I do not remember where it
comes from but there is a pond newsletter that gets sent around. I can
try to find it for you if you want.
I appologize if i am missing the point, I just wouldn't want to miss
any on topic conversation.

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 15:11:25 -0500, Robyn Rhudy
wrote:

[...]

Chemist, preservationist, animal lover, aquarist, and ponder. -
Extensive web pages on animals, fish, and ponds. -
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/ -
Free pond newsletter - sign up at my web site -
Finally! Buy Robyn's Pond Book at www.1stbooks.com -
_ _
(o)____(o) ---ribbit
_/ oo \_
/ \----------/ \
\ | | | | /
ww ooo ooo ww

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 24-02-2003, 03:53 PM
REBEL JOE

sounds good to me so when you going to start this?

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND

Old 24-02-2003, 05:07 PM
John Rutz

If you want a email directory then make it up from here---
but as Nedra said an open conversation here in the rec.ponds generates
answers from several different people, so you can look at the ones whose
situation (location-size of pond etc) is near to yours and go from there

John Rutz

--
John Rutz

I'm not Porg am not am not am so
see my pond at:
http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 24-02-2003, 05:19 PM
K30a

I'd rather answer questions on rec.ponds,
that way others can join in with their suggestions.
I know I'll miss something or forget to mention another option. Example my
green pond tips don't mention UVs but others have experience with them and can
give that option.

k30a

Old 24-02-2003, 07:57 PM
Justin

"jammer" wrote in message
Isn't that what we do here? Besides, if there is all this personal
email going on, how will others learn? I do not remember where it
comes from but there is a pond newsletter that gets sent around. I can
try to find it for you if you want.
I appologize if i am missing the point, I just wouldn't want to miss
any on topic conversation.

I agree with the points made by Jammer, John, and others but if you'd
look at the old Internet Pond Society, I think you would agree that
what Robyn is trying to coordinate would be a good thing. There are
many aspects that rec.ponds can not provide.

Justin
Old 24-02-2003, 08:36 PM
BenignVanilla

"K30a" wrote in message

I'd rather answer questions on rec.ponds,
that way others can join in with their suggestions.
I know I'll miss something or forget to mention another option. Example my
green pond tips don't mention UVs but others have experience with them and

can
give that option.

I agree...I think there is much to be gained via public Q&A...and we can
always go back and google the answers we need once the snow melts.

BV.

Old 25-02-2003, 12:23 AM
J.D. Stone

"K30a" wrote in message

I'd rather answer questions on rec.ponds,
that way others can join in with their suggestions.
I know I'll miss something or forget to mention another option. Example my
green pond tips don't mention UVs but others have experience with them and

can
give that option.

k30a

Have to agree. I don't post often, but read most all that show up. Would
probably miss some good ideas if this group wasn't active or went to mostly
e-mail. Not to mention all those nice links to some really nice ponds.\
JD

Old 25-02-2003, 03:27 PM
TerryinTexas7

"K30a" wrote in message

I'd rather answer questions on rec.ponds,
that way others can join in with their suggestions.
I know I'll miss something or forget to mention another option. Example my
green pond tips don't mention UVs but others have experience with them and

can
give that option.

k30a

Have to agree. I don't post often, but read most all that show up. Would
probably miss some good ideas if this group wasn't active or went to mostly
e-mail. Not to mention all those nice links to some really nice ponds.\
JD

Amen JD
TerryinTexas
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292208749

Old 26-02-2003, 01:51 AM
Robyn Rhudy

Just to clarify things. My idea was in no way meant to replace rec.ponds
or take away from it in any way. I was simply talking about a web site
where one (mostly novices) could go to find a group-effort pond society of
some sort where they could ask specific people specific questions that may
not always get answered on rec.ponds. I know when I used to ask
questions here, more than half were never answered or barely answered so
I stopped asking and started answering over time (I reply most often off
the group as that makes me feel more comfortable). Also,
you get answers from many people and don't know how experienced they are
or if they're even correct. This imaginary GROUP of pond experts could
also have a forum, newsletter, rec.pond FAQ or link to it but be done by a
GROUP and not one person so it would have some authority and official
presence of some sort like the Internet Pond Society had the potential to
have. Anyway, most of my thoughts like this one are fruitless so I'll go
back to answering those dozen or so people who e-mail me daily about
ponds.