Old 28-04-2003, 09:32 PM
sandy srp

Default Trickle Tower vs. homemade biofilter

Hello, my name is Sandy also.
I also have a mini pond, consisting of one 35 gal tank emptying into a
50 gal tank. (The later is actually a horse trough.)
I just cleaned the tanks a few days ago. I have a filter of course, it
empties into the top tank (the smaller one) then water falls back to the
lower tank. At the point of discharge from the top tank, where the water
falls, I place terry face cloths over the lip to further filter the
water. I have a small piece of carpenters cloth to hold it in place.
This also keeps the fish from the top tank from being swept into the
lower tank. I change these cloths every day and wash them out in clear
water. It is surprising how much debris and algae this collects. The top
tank has a bell water fall.
I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed this little hobby, even though
we have had our losses here and there. I just buy feeder gold fish. But
when they get huge and you lose them it feels like a great loss. Don'
let other people tend your fish. I swear the next time I go on vacation
I'm taking my fish with me...all 12 of them.
Sure do enjoy this site. Sandy

Old 29-04-2003, 02:09 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Nedra wrote:
Here's are two links to Sherrie Gentry's Trickle Tower.. I re-acquainted
myself to her and Bless Her Heart, she replied with the links. The
strawberry jar makes a pretty TT.

Links:
http://pineyrose.bravepages.com/trickletower.html
and:
http://members.neandertech.com/shegan

She has a lovely pond - lives in Tennessee.

Enjoy!

Nedra

And using a strawberry jar would mean you don't have to buy
the hot glue gun! One warning, I tried a strawberry jar
last year. I had to enlarge the opening in the bottom for
the tubing and split the jar. Soooo, go slow and be careful
if you must enlarge the opening.
--
Bonnie
NJ