GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   raccoon problems (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/1900-raccoon-problems.html)

cr 24-02-2003 05:53 AM

raccoon problems

Maybe this has come up before but haven't seen it on the posts I'm pulling
up now. Anyone have any advice for keeping the coons out of my pond? They
get in & tear apart all the plants..I mean SHREDDING them to pieces & making
a mess of the area. We live near a wooded area with lots of critters , so
could never trap them all even. They really don't bother us much except for
the pond thing..any ideas?

K30a 24-02-2003 03:04 PM

raccoon problems

Two ideas for raccoons
- motion activated sprinklers - secured with a concrete builder's block
- fi-shock fido electric fence available are large pet stores such as PetsMart.

good luck!

k30a

Jim Humphries 24-02-2003 06:45 PM

raccoon problems

If your pond is the right shape garden netting does the trick, and also
keeps the Herons away.

--
Jim and Sara Humphries, Victoria, BC

~ jan 24-02-2003 10:44 PM

raccoon problems

If the raccoon has managed to catch fish out of your pond, best start with
#2 below. The raccoon I had made a mess, but didn't catch anything, thus #1
worked for me. ~ jan

Two ideas for raccoons
- #1. motion activated sprinklers - secured with a concrete builder's block
- #2. fi-shock fido electric fence available are large pet stores such as PetsMart.

k30a

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

~ jan 24-02-2003 10:45 PM

raccoon problems

If the raccoon has managed to catch fish out of your pond, best start with

garby8265 09-02-2019 01:50 PM

We had a similar problem with raccoons. I don't know what it is with the plants but they literally destroyed ours as well. I don't think that they ate them or anything just totally shredded them. Which was strange.

They also knocked several potted plants off of the ledge in the pond. I was thinking maybe they used the pots to stand on when trying to grab fish? They actually got several of ours which were all much larger. I guess because it's a smaller pond and they were much easier targets than the smaller koi and shubunkins.

We went with netting over the top at first and this didn't work for us at all. The second night we had it on they came back and took 3 more fish. And they had knocked all of the large rocks we had used to weigh it down into the pond as well.

We got one of those floating gator decoys with the glowing eyes and the raccoons have not gotten any free fish dinners since: Alligator Decoy | The Garden And Patio Home Guide It actually has kept the ducks out too which has been a big help for keeping the pond and lawn duck poop-free.

sammytheon1 16-05-2019 06:15 AM

Our neighbor has one of these gators and it definetly works.