Old 10-04-2010, 02:48 PM
Registered User

Unhappy One year on and still a brown, murky pond

Hi,

I excavated a 5 x 3m pond last April, lined it and filled it, bought masses of oxygenating plants and potted up some pond plants but now one year on, despite clearing all debris in the autumn and again this week, the water is brown, stagnant and all but a handful of oxygenators are dead.

I want a natural wildlife pond without a pump if possible. I live in the Highlands of Scotland, about 1000m above sea level and the soil around is naturally acidic. Our tap water is pure, with no additives and the pond was filled by hose. I'm at the point of thinking about filling the flaming thing in again.

Can someone help please?
Old 10-04-2010, 05:12 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default One year on and still a brown, murky pond

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 08:48:08 -0400, whiskybelle wrote:

Hi,

I excavated a 5 x 3m pond last April, lined it and filled it, bought
masses of oxygenating plants and potted up some pond plants but now one
year on, despite clearing all debris in the autumn and again this week,
the water is brown, stagnant and all but a handful of oxygenators are
dead.

I want a natural wildlife pond without a pump if possible. I live in
the Highlands of Scotland, about 1000m above sea level and the soil
around is naturally acidic. Our tap water is pure, with no additives and
the pond was filled by hose. I'm at the point of thinking about filling
the flaming thing in again.

Can someone help please?

Hi,

How deep is the pond and what compost did you use for the plants? Have
you changed the water at all and is it mains water or from a local
well? What were the plants you put in and are they likely to be able to
survive a winter up there?

The brown has to come from the planting medium or run off from the
surrounding area so is it possible that runoff water can get into the
pond?

Stagnant means there isn't enough water movement to oxygenate it
properly, does it get any sun? Is there any algae floating around?

Usually a new pond takes time to settle down and the water will go
green from algae that grows from the nutrients in the fresh water. It
could be that you have very few nutrients in your water and need to add
food for the plants that you put in. If you used your local soil it
could be browning the water and be low in nutrients. Peat will always
stain water brown for instance.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail rpont (at) gmail (dot) com

Old 11-04-2010, 03:21 PM posted to rec.ponds

On Apr 10, 10:12*am, "Rodney Pont" wrote:
[...]

e-mail *rpont (at) gmail (dot) com- Hide quoted text -

Its a ****ing mud puddle. Yep listen to these asswipes on what ahd how
to make a pond right. They are lead by a cornhole happy preacher man
and a few other decrepit powerhungry assholes. In all actuality none
of them have a clue how to wipe their own ass. Besides there is no one
here that gives a flying **** about your mud pond, so why don't you
do what brits do best and thats go crawl back to the pub and work on
some pints and get yourself ****ed. Thats all your good for anyhow is
drinking beer and shagging mum.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:35 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Rodney Pont" wrote in message
systems.ltd.uk...
(...)
It could be that you have very few nutrients in your
water and need to add
food for the plants that you put in.

(...)
I run a fifty gallon tank. I do not use fertilizer stronger than silt from
vacuuming. I hav two eighteen inch echinodoruses. On the bottom of their pot
is silt. Above that is peat. To keep the peat in there is clay. To keep the
clay from even potentially clouding the water, which it would not, there is
sand. No soluble fertilizer is in my water. I tried that. It was not
necessary.

The guy who started this thread is suffering from a brown tide. I see
nothing to do but change the water.

Old 13-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Registered User

I hope to have a natural wildlife pond without pump, if possible. I live in the Scottish Highlands, about 1,000 meters above sea level, surrounded by the natural soil is acidic. Our tap water is pure, without any additives and ponds full of hose. I'm thinking about something to fill the re-burning.
Pond Filters

Murky pond water unspokenchaos Ponds 16 05-06-2012 05:18 PM
Murky pond... Bootfit Ponds (moderated) 5 02-04-2008 05:20 PM
Murky pond Jeanne Ponds (alternative) 0 29-05-2006 05:58 AM
River Stones and Murky Water Greg Costanzo Ponds 4 10-06-2004 01:10 AM
Murky Pond Evil Noodle Ponds 0 02-05-2004 07:07 PM