Old 29-04-2003, 04:44 AM
Moontanman

Default How to keep cats out of a pond

Ok guys and gals, my wife wants me to put a pond in my front yard but my
bassets can't keep the cats away in the front yard becasue there is no fence to
keep the hounds in! what the best way short of shooting all the neighborhood
cats?

Moon
remove nospam from e-mail to send to me, I grow trees in aquariums like bonsai.
I breed dwarf crayfish, great for planted community tanks. If you can get me a
shovelnose sturgeon fingerling (Scaphirhynchus platorynchus) no wild caught
please, contact me
Old 29-04-2003, 04:44 AM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 22:34:47 -0500, Moontanman wrote:

Ok guys and gals, my wife wants me to put a pond in my front yard
but my bassets can't keep the cats away in the front yard becasue
there is no fence to keep the hounds in! what the best way short of
shooting all the neighborhood cats?

Moon

Best way to keep cats out of a pond is to put 'em in!

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.
Old 29-04-2003, 05:20 AM
K30a

My front and back yard belong to my neighbor's
cat. I've never seen any problem that he has caused in the ponds. We just live
under his jurisdiction and all usurpers are repelled as loudly as possible.

k30a
Old 29-04-2003, 05:20 AM
Nedra

Yes ... Cybe, right you are! Several years ago I had 7 cats
of all ages ... not one of them did anything to the pond but
sit and watch the fish. I have heard of folks just nudging
a cat into the pond... of course, they hate it and will take
an immediate dislike to the person who played such a dirty
trick!! It is worth a try.

Nedra cat lover

newsan.2003.04.28.22.38.08.417004.13841@WizardsT ower...

Old 29-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 23:12:05 -0500, Nedra wrote:

I have heard of folks just nudging a cat into the pond... of course,
they hate it and will take an immediate dislike to the person who
played such a dirty trick!! It is worth a try.

There is a fairly new breed, the Bengal cat (not tiger!), that enjoy
the water just as much as real tigers, though. If you have one of
those, watch out!
Wondering about them? Google, "Bengal cat." They are really amazing
animals. I had one once long ago in a galaxy far away.

Cybe R. Wizard

Old 29-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Lee Brouillet

Before I caged my pond, the neighbors' cats would come over to watch Kitty
TV: they would sit for hours with their feet curled into their chest and be
mesmerized. Occasionally one of them would indulge in a fish-flavored water
libation (flavored water IS all the rage now, isn't it??), but that was all
they ever did (besides drive my dogs crazy 'cause they couldn't get to the
cats!). I would suggest that you make the sides as straight as possible to
deter pussy-footin' into the shallows for a quick swipe in the event an
over-powering temptation presents itself. Other than that, cats were never a
problem.

Lee

Old 04-05-2003, 01:08 AM
Gary

I liked the jurisdiction comment too. My cat has that effect on everything
in the whole yard. A funny thing though - my cat has never bothered the
goldfish in my backyard pond. She does like their food, so I have seen her
lapping the food off the surface of the water as the fish come up from
underneath to nibble. The are obviously not afraid of the cat! I wonder if
the cat's tongue ever touched a fish tongue!!! Anyway, not wanting to get
wet, the cat treats this as pure, simple amusement to watch the fish and to
see how much of their food she can eat.
Gary

Old 04-05-2003, 04:44 AM
jammer

On Sat, 3 May 2003 17:55:19 -0600, "Gary" wrote:

I liked the jurisdiction comment too. My cat has that effect on everything
in the whole yard. A funny thing though - my cat has never bothered the
goldfish in my backyard pond. She does like their food, so I have seen her
lapping the food off the surface of the water as the fish come up from
underneath to nibble. The are obviously not afraid of the cat! I wonder if
the cat's tongue ever touched a fish tongue!!! Anyway, not wanting to get
wet, the cat treats this as pure, simple amusement to watch the fish and to
see how much of their food she can eat.
Gary

Do you really think fish have tongues????

Old 04-05-2003, 07:08 AM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Sat, 03 May 2003 22:37:10 -0500, jammer wrote:

Do you really think fish have tongues????

Why not? Clams got legs!

Cybe R. Wizard
Old 04-05-2003, 08:20 AM
Moontanman

Some fish have tongues some don't. I've not seen any with tongues that they
could stick out of thier mouths.

Old 04-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Sun, 04 May 2003 01:32:38 -0500, jammer wrote:

On Sun, 04 May 2003 00:54:45 -0500, "Cybe R. Wizard"
wrote:

Do you really think fish have tongues????

Why not? Clams got legs!

Um.....ok.

Not a fan of the "BC" cartoons, I take it?

Cybe R. Wizard
Old 04-05-2003, 11:44 PM
mad

bet these would keep the cats out of the pond!
mad

I don't think this is the size you have in mind, but here's a way to get
some for free:

http://www.johnsjottings.com/archive..._noodling.html

http://espn.go.com/outdoors/general/...h/1336494.html

BTW: These are released after catching them.

--
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

Old 06-05-2003, 02:22 AM
Moontanman

Imagine tasting a chocolate sundae with your whole body. If you were a
catfish, you could

They would probably make chocolate illegle if we could do that!