GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Koi Pond Trouble (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/190950-koi-pond-trouble.html)

Enflamed Tulip 21-04-2010 11:39 AM

Koi Pond Trouble

Hi I'm a new member here with little experience.

I finally got a pond installed in the garden with quite a few exotic fish :)

The problem I am having is that my pet dogs keep defecating into the pond, and barking at the fish. Any tips on how to deter them from going near the pond? The husband has suggested placing egg shells near it but I don't like the sound of causing distress for them.

Thanks in advance =D

-Julie

teresa green 21-04-2010 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enflamed Tulip (Post 884238)
Hi I'm a new member here with little experience.

I finally got a pond installed in the garden with quite a few exotic fish :)

The problem I am having is that my pet dogs keep defecating into the pond, and barking at the fish. Any tips on how to deter them from going near the pond? The husband has suggested placing egg shells near it but I don't like the sound of causing distress for them.

Thanks in advance =D

-Julie

may i suggest "barbra's throbbing dog scare device" it works wonders when those pesky beasts hop my fence and ruin my bbq session!

Sack Of Gold 21-04-2010 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teresa green (Post 884240)
may i suggest "barbra's throbbing dog scare device" it works wonders when those pesky beasts hop my fence and ruin my bbq session!

I don't think ive ever heard of a Throbbing dog scare device. Ive reported this post as inapropriate.

Also, if dog's are causing a problem look into buying pond wire. it goes around the post and would probably help prevent this.

What kind of fish do you have? i'd love to see some pictures :)

Hope this helped.

Enflamed Tulip 21-04-2010 11:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sack Of Gold (Post 884242)
What kind of fish do you have? i'd love to see some pictures :)

Hope this helped.

Here's some of my koi fish :)

Sack Of Gold 21-04-2010 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enflamed Tulip (Post 884243)
Here's some of my koi fish :)

Very nice indeed. I used to have some koi fish but i had to get rid of them. Well, when i say get rid of them i mean accidentally killed with fertilizer. Haha!

Do you only own koi or do you have a various amount of fish? :)

berrymilan 23-10-2010 09:12 AM

You should try to keep your dogs away from your garden. I think you need to shift your dog in some other place. There is no other idea in my mind just keep the dogs away from the pond.

arlenpalmer 28-04-2011 07:02 PM

Koi are curious by nature, everyone has a unique personality. Koi Pond plants may be food, entertainment, and even ignored. Unfortunately there is no way to predict your particular fish will react. Under normal circumstances it works better than introducing a plant into the pond, koi pond, koi established the introduction of the Koi pond plants. Koi are curious fish and will exceed the additional investigation. Then, if they will start eating away all the plants eating plants, because they learn from each other.