Old 30-04-2003, 03:45 PM
Dennis

Default above ground height for formal pond

We are building a 20'x20' formal koi pond (concrete block and liner
inside, brick outside above ground), 6' deep with a 6' radius
semi-circle upper pond/falls. The brick will be capped with a 2"
Bluestone or Limestone coping.

We can't decide how far above the ground to extend the main pond.
Most importantly, we want it to be structurally sound (water/ice
pressure in Upstate NY). Also, we want it too look nice (i.e, not too
much brick showing so as to be overwhelming across the 20' expanse).
Finally, we want it to be functional for sitting next to and in order
for adults and children to view the plants, feed the koi, etc. We
will make the upper pond 1' higher than the lower one.

Any input would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Dennis
Old 30-04-2003, 05:08 PM
Paul Irwin

Once you get a possible height, make a wall that high out of some foam
insullation board and look at it for a few days to see how it feels. You
might want to paint it a color approximating the brick rather than leaving
it white or blue.

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...
"Dennis" wrote in message
m...
We are building a 20'x20' formal koi pond (concrete block and liner
inside, brick outside above ground), 6' deep with a 6' radius
semi-circle upper pond/falls. The brick will be capped with a 2"
Bluestone or Limestone coping.

We can't decide how far above the ground to extend the main pond.
Most importantly, we want it to be structurally sound (water/ice
pressure in Upstate NY). Also, we want it too look nice (i.e, not too
much brick showing so as to be overwhelming across the 20' expanse).
Finally, we want it to be functional for sitting next to and in order
for adults and children to view the plants, feed the koi, etc. We
will make the upper pond 1' higher than the lower one.

I am not speaking from actual experience...just gut reaction...I'd stack
some bricks on the ground and sit on them...Look for a comfortable height
that your little ones can climb up on, but high enough that an adult can

sit
fairly comfortable. My gut say 18-22 inches.

BV.

Old 01-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Mike Naime

Dennis:

Our current pond is an above ground pond that sits about 2' above ground
level. This is still a fairly low level, but a bit above what sitting
height would be.
The veggie filter sections that feed into this are 2.5' and 3'
tall.(Spilling over the top into the next section) The 3' section is a good
height to go lean on your elbows while dangeling your fingers into the
water.

Our next pond will be a combo of in-ground/above ground. The raised sides
helps to keep the dogs out of the pond.

Mike

m...