Old 12-03-2011, 05:19 AM
Registered User

Default Need help in koi breeding

Koi fish breeding, need help?
I want to ask about koi fish breeding.
I always face the same problem when I do breed my koi fishes.

I use the method of isolating a female fish with a male in a separate tank. The process of spawning happens normally and the female lays her egg. But the problem is that I am not sure if the male had thrown his sperms over the eggs. I can see the eggs in my spawning ropes, but not sure if the male released his sperms. My question is: can the female koi release her eggs and those eggs are not fertilized by the male koi sperm?

I close the filter and use only oxygen in the tank.

I usually wait for 5 days but nothing appears from those eggs. In fact, there is an awful smell coming from the tank and there are some white substance floating on the water tank. Please need your advice? How can I complete the breeding process?
Old 12-03-2011, 11:26 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Dxbuae" wrote...

[...]

Never deliberately spawned Koi but have, in my youth, spawned a number of
tropical fish. I've also kept Koi for longer than I care to remember, the
days when you could buy a 6 inch Japanese bred Tancho Sanke for under £5.
and proper dark Showa were common, not these modern mostly white things.

Firstly it's usual to ensure fertilisation of the eggs by having two males
to each female in the spawning pond.
With only one male it is more than likely that some eggs won't be
fertilised. These will turn white and become infected which is not good for
the remaining healthy eggs so white eggs should be removed quickly.

Fertilised eggs are sticky and stick well to anything they touch so turning
off filtration at this time is the opposite of what is needed, eggs need the
cleanest water possible and a flow of oxygenated water over them. I trust
you also remove the parents asap or they will eat the eggs and pollute the
water.

Once the fry hatch they will not need food for a few days while they live
off their egg sack so don't be tempted to feed them immediately and pollute
the water. I used to use Brine Shrimp for the tropicals but daphnia work for
most fresh water fish, what do you usually have ready as a first feed?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-03-2011, 06:12 PM posted to rec.ponds

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 05:19:59 +0000, Dxbuae
wrote:

[...]

I agree with what Bob said. I would add that methylene blue is a good anti
fungal to use after eggs are laid, here's a website to check out:

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ungus-question

I have a small pond with 2 females koi and one male did the trick.
Filtration was left on and even though this pond has a stream into a
another I had 5-6 babies stay and grow up in this pond w/o ever turning off
the filtration. Many went to the lower pond and didn't enter the filter....
there I found 50ish at the end of the season. My filter is tight enough
that very few found their way to the pump.

I don't have the area to breed koi purposely, but I did breed telescope
goldfish in a tank away from the pond last year. I used an in-pond filter
with foam so when the babies got old enough they wouldn't be sucked into
the pump. I did not use methylene blue, just allowed things to progress
naturally and got a good dozen or more from my male & female. I have better
odds in the ponds, but the wakins are too rough for the telescopes to be
with them and I'd have mixed genes if they could stay. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us
Old 18-04-2011, 11:10 PM posted to rec.ponds

A major consideration is to consider the Koi to find an ideal breeding
parents. This choice will also be involved in color pattern, you're
looking for breeding. It was proposed to maintain the quality of fish
blood to produce better Koi fish. When you are a parent Koi fish you
need to consider age, because it can affect the appearance of eggshell
quality. Shell often have a significant impact the survival of young
women's eggs.

--
jackjhonsmith
Old 19-04-2011, 09:27 PM posted to rec.ponds

I can't answer your question, but my friend Tony Krehbiel is a Koi
breeder here in Oklahoma. He'll know the best solution. http://www.koicountry.com/

On Mar 12, 12:19*am, Dxbuae wrote:
[...]

Koi fish breeding, need help? Dxbuae Ponds (moderated) 0 10-03-2011 09:18 PM
Koi Breeding Idear BenignVanilla Ponds 14 03-03-2004 04:07 AM
Koi Breeding Idea Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 0 26-02-2004 01:42 AM
Koi Breeding Chad Ponds 1 10-12-2003 06:02 AM
koi breeding [email protected] Ponds 13 30-04-2003 01:56 AM