Old 25-02-2003, 05:54 PM
Tim Wardell

Default store bought bio filters

whirrr... (the sound of a can of worms being opened)

I know there are numerous advocates of DIY biofilters. The internet is
filled with homepages dedicated to sharing plans on how to build a homemade
biofilter. I've built a few of my own but have never been that happy with
them (seems I always overlook something, or they don't work as well as I
planned).
I'm now building a pond for my parents (both retired) and am wanting to
use an "out-of-pond" manufactured filter (store bought). Since this will be
at my parents home, getting in the pond on a regular basis is not an option,
so I am not interested in submersible / in-pond filters. I'd like to get
input from others out there who have used such filters - Oase Bio Clear,
Cyprio Green Machine, and/or others. What I'd like to know is...
- What filter (name/brand, manufacturer)
- Has it done the job? Are you happy with it?
- How hard / easy has it been to maintain?

Please share your comments, suggestions, and war-stories.

Thanks,

Tim Wardell
Dallas, Texas

Old 25-02-2003, 06:04 PM
K30a

I once did some research on building
and maintaining ponds for folks of limited
abilities.
Having both the pump and the filter out
of the pond was the best setup for these
folks. Also using velcro closings and anything
to ease the opening of various containers,
dividers, etc. worked well.
I think Jan's filter would be a good option.
Also a skimmer and bottom drain.
A HREF="http://users.owt.com/jjspond/"http://users.owt.com/jjspond//A
all of which jj includes in her pages.
My article was published by the now defunct
Pond and Garden, though I think it is still available
on a CD they put together of all their issues.
Go here http://pondandgarden.com/

(disclaimer - no monetary compensation comes
my way from this CD ;-)

good luck with your parent's pond and let
us know how it goes!

k30a
Old 25-02-2003, 07:22 PM
bk

I use the Tetra canister filter PF-3 (I think).
It's very simple, I wash off the filter pads and that's realy it.
I got one rated for about 1500 gallons for my 12 gallon pond.
news7N6a.259954$be.242476@rwcrnsc53...

Old 26-02-2003, 04:27 AM
Steve J. Noll

I'm using an Aqua Ultraviolet Ultima II 5.0 biofilter.

Maintenance is once a week turning the valve to "backwash" for one
minute, then to "rinse" for 45 to 60 seconds. That's it.

Prefilter is a giant Aqua Ultraviolet Ultra Leaf Basket. Hose out
basket once every two weeks.

Seems to do the job - but my 2500 gallon pond is only 7 months old,
with seven water lilies and nine small Butterfly Koi.

I'm a happy camper.

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California (zone 10)
Old 02-03-2003, 04:03 PM

Little and big sisters. what the Goldfish Guru uses on all her outside ponds. She
lives in Alabama, long hot summers, and overstocked ponds. They find them the
easiest to back flush to clean em out.
1-251-649-4790