Old 01-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Kelly E Jones

Default A Lesson On Water Levels

In article ,
BenignVanilla m wrote:

2 is my reservoir pond. 1 is my VF. The pond (2) has a bottom drain that
connects to a pipe that runs along the pond floor and then angles up. This
pipe then empties into the VF (1). Originally the output (3) was above the
water level (^^^) in the pond (2). I am working to drop this level down and
dig the VF deeper. If I get this pipe below the water level (^^^) in the
pond (2) and I get it below the water level (^^^) in the VF (1), will the
water equalize to the same level (^^^) just above the pipe (==)?

Yes. Thanks for the pic!

Kelly

Old 01-05-2003, 10:08 PM
John Rutz

BenignVanilla wrote:
First off, my apologies for crying like a ninny in 12 different threads
about my VF problem. I appreciate you listening to me vent, and I appreciate
all of the advice I have received. Before I do any more digging, I want to
make sure I understand how nature is working. This is my attempt to take my
12 threads, and make them 1.

This post is meaningless without a fixed width font...

1 2
_ _
| | _ _
|^^^| |^^^|
| 3== | |
| | \\| |
| | ==="-|
-----

2 is my reservoir pond. 1 is my VF. The pond (2) has a bottom drain that
connects to a pipe that runs along the pond floor and then angles up. This
pipe then empties into the VF (1). Originally the output (3) was above the
water level (^^^) in the pond (2). I am working to drop this level down and
dig the VF deeper. If I get this pipe below the water level (^^^) in the
pond (2) and I get it below the water level (^^^) in the VF (1), will the
water equalize to the same level (^^^) just above the pipe (==)?

BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com

Remove MYFRONTALLOBE to email me.

yes but it still wont flow uphill as fast as your pump so as soon as
the pipe in the vf gets near the top of the water you lose siphon
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 02-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Critical Popperian

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in message ...
First off, my apologies for crying like a ninny in 12 different threads
about my VF problem. I appreciate you listening to me vent, and I appreciate
all of the advice I have received. Before I do any more digging, I want to
make sure I understand how nature is working. This is my attempt to take my
12 threads, and make them 1.

This post is meaningless without a fixed width font...

1 2
_ _
| | _ _
|^^^| |^^^|
| 3== | |
| | \\| |
| | ==="-|
-----

2 is my reservoir pond. 1 is my VF. The pond (2) has a bottom drain that
connects to a pipe that runs along the pond floor and then angles up. This
pipe then empties into the VF (1). Originally the output (3) was above the
water level (^^^) in the pond (2). I am working to drop this level down and
dig the VF deeper. If I get this pipe below the water level (^^^) in the
pond (2) and I get it below the water level (^^^) in the VF (1), will the
water equalize to the same level (^^^) just above the pipe (==)?

It looks like it should, assuming (3) is open with no pumps, no
valves, etc.

My veggie filter (1) is actually above the koi pond (2) and I use 2
Oase 3700 GPH submersible fish basin pumps to move the water. While
you aren't really supposed to pump the bottom uphill, it is working
reasonably well for me. I've got a tanin problem and a bit of an
algae bloom because I don't have enough plants yet, but it is working
reasonably well.
Old 03-05-2003, 06:20 AM
Just Me \Koi\

OK Jeff,

This is what I think? You are playing with complex laws of physics. I try
to work with the more simple aspects of gravity!
Pump up, gravity flow down! What goes up must come down.

So I will either elevate my VF, pump up into it, and let the water flow back
into my pond

or
I will have my veggie filter lower than the output portion of my pond. Of
course the output portion has to be much lower than the top of the water
level in my pond. Say your VF is 12" lower than your pond, then the output
portion of your bottom drain from your pond can be 6" lower than the water
level in the pond. Then simply pump the water back into the pond from the
VF. No siphon to deal with, no head to calculate, and no major backflow to
deal with.

The lowest your main pond can go down is to the level of your bottom drain
out put or 6" low. And your veggie filter can never back flow back into
your main pond.

My 2 cents.

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...
First off, my apologies for crying like a ninny in 12 different threads
about my VF problem. I appreciate you listening to me vent, and I

appreciate
all of the advice I have received. Before I do any more digging, I want to
make sure I understand how nature is working. This is my attempt to take

my
12 threads, and make them 1.

This post is meaningless without a fixed width font...

1 2
_ _
| | _ _
|^^^| |^^^|
| 3== | |
| | \\| |
| | ==="-|
-----

2 is my reservoir pond. 1 is my VF. The pond (2) has a bottom drain that
connects to a pipe that runs along the pond floor and then angles up. This
pipe then empties into the VF (1). Originally the output (3) was above the
water level (^^^) in the pond (2). I am working to drop this level down

and
dig the VF deeper. If I get this pipe below the water level (^^^) in the
pond (2) and I get it below the water level (^^^) in the VF (1), will the
water equalize to the same level (^^^) just above the pipe (==)?

BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com

Remove MYFRONTALLOBE to email me.

OT A simple lesson in life David Hill United Kingdom 4 08-01-2004 07:41 PM
Hard lesson learned :( Chad Ponds 10 08-11-2003 06:02 AM
water testing, and a chemistry lesson rnj Freshwater Aquaria Plants 41 20-04-2003 07:23 AM
[IBC] 101 Chemistry Lesson randi sharp Bonsai 0 27-03-2003 05:08 AM
AMC Montessori Springtime Lesson Planning Page Uploaded amonco7 Gardening 0 23-03-2003 12:20 AM