Old 11-11-2011, 12:48 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default This pond group is dead

Rest in peace.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:04 AM posted to rec.ponds

On 11-Nov-2011, "ReelMckoi" wrote:

Rest in peace.
--
RM....

Not quite but nearly.

Something unknown and quite strong is still attacking my pond and has
dragged out pots in the past and despite netting has now attacked and broken
my reeds. What creature, I wonder, could have such an obsession against my
pond? Badger perhaps?

Doug.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:34 PM posted to rec.ponds

"ReelMckoi" wrote
"Doug" wrote

"ReelMckoi" wrote:

Rest in peace.
--
RM....

Not quite but nearly.

Something unknown and quite strong is still attacking my pond and has
dragged out pots in the past and despite netting has now attacked and
broken
my reeds. What creature, I wonder, could have such an obsession against
my
pond? Badger perhaps?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It sounds like you have a raccoon problem. They're very destructive and
come around late at night. Large herons will also turn over pots. A
neighbors dog got into my smaller pond one time and made a real mess. I
don't think there was one plant that wasn't overturned or broken.

This is a classic reason why all posters to Ngs should state roughly where
in the world they are. The poster mentioned Badgers which suggests the UK to
me, the reply mentions Racoons which indicates USA, literally a world apart.
Had similar in the gardening Ngs where Americans grow some of their plants
differently to us here in the UK and without knowing where everyone lives it
can get fraught, nasty even.
--
Regards Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup from the W. of London UK

Old 16-11-2011, 02:02 AM posted to rec.ponds

"Doug" wrote in message

On 11-Nov-2011, "ReelMckoi" wrote:
It sounds like you have a raccoon problem. They're very destructive and
come around late at night. Large herons will also turn over pots. A
neighbors dog got into my smaller pond one time and made a real mess. I
don't think there was one plant that wasn't overturned or broken.

How horrible! Its news to me that ponds are liable to attack. I have had
two
small fishless ponds for some years, which contained newts and frogs, and
they were never attacked but since I have had the fish the attacks have
begun. A neighbours dog showed a great deal of interest in the fish but I
intervened quickly to prevent any damage. Most of the time though my fish
hide from view and are very timid.

Doug.

Posted from London, England, where foxes and cats are prevalent in gardens
at night.

We found to our sorrow that here in the USA a lot of predators attacked our
ponds. Kingfisher birds, the mentioned herons, bullfrogs, water snakes and
turtles, raccoons, the occasional cat, dogs... if ponds are not protected in
some way the fish will be lost. I used nets when I had fish. Now the ponds
are just whatever nature brings, mainly newts, water turtles and
frogs/pollywogs.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 16-11-2011, 07:24 AM posted to rec.ponds

On 16-Nov-2011, "ReelMckoi" wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message

[...]

I just didn't realise before I bought the fish that they would attract so
many problems. Previously I had two fairly natural ponds, one very small but
still populated by newts, frogs and various bugs. Both ponds required little
attention and were actually neglected and covered in an invasive layer of
pondweed but still seemingly rich in wildlife. My big pond plastic liner
started to leak after a few years so I invested in an expensive rubber liner
and installed some plants and a fountain and then the fish. I am now
wondering if the wildlife will return to the ponds in the spring. I doubt
that small newts, etc can exist along with the fish. The fish are cute but I
am tempted to return them to the shop or another pond person if various
predators don't get them first!

Doug.
Old 19-11-2011, 03:04 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Doug" wrote

From the size of its droppings, which are of human proportions, something
quite big is getting into my garden at night.

From a web site devoted to UK animal poo.... Badger....

"Faeces can be very variable – soft and even runny when they have been
eating worms, or solid and firm, like a large, fat sausage, when eating
wheat or fruit.
Where badgers are common, these are generally deposited in shallow pits, but
are more generally just left on the surface. Easily recognised by sweet,
musky smell."

Probably Badger then, a webcam should confirm it and be a hit on YouTube,
put out some fresh unsalted peanuts which they can't resist and you should
get a good view and it might just stop them bothering with the pond looking
for tasty treats. Lucky you.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 25-11-2011, 12:36 PM posted to rec.ponds

On 22-Nov-2011, "ReelMckoi" wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message

On 18-Nov-2011, "ReelMckoi" wrote:

We have two ponds. One is 800g and the other 2000g. Both have
rubber
liners. If the smaller one ever develops a leak, we plan to fill it
in.

From the size of its droppings, which are of human proportions,
something
quite big is getting into my garden at night.

Doug.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Geeze.... let me know what it is if you ever find out.

I have been thinking about installing CCTV in the garden.

Doug.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That sounds like an excellent idea. I do miss the fish at times but since

they've been gone I have no more problems with the ponds. It seems
everything out there is attracted to a fish dinner. And while they go
after
their dinner, they destroy the pond.

This past summer only one water lily was somehow knocked out of it's pot.
need to get it repotted before winter.

I have installed the CCTV and have so far seen 2 foxes, one or two cats and
the dog from next door in my garden. There have also been some
unidentifiable small flying creatures.The foxes and cats are at night on
Infra Red, between about 2300 and 0500, and so far they have not damaged my
pond, though the foxes are drinking out of my small fishless pond. The dog
entered across the fence during the day and is so far my prime suspect for
pond damage. I have left two empty pots by my fish pond to see if they are
grabbed during the night. Of course, if there is any further pond damage I
will be able to see the next morning what has done it.

Doug
Old 25-11-2011, 07:06 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Doug" wrote in message

On 22-Nov-2011, "ReelMckoi" wrote:
Geeze.... let me know what it is if you ever find out.

I have installed the CCTV and have so far seen 2 foxes, one or two cats
and
the dog from next door in my garden. There have also been some
unidentifiable small flying creatures.

Cats and fox don't go in the water so it wouldn't be them. Small flying
things = bats?

The foxes and cats are at night on
Infra Red, between about 2300 and 0500, and so far they have not damaged
my
pond, though the foxes are drinking out of my small fishless pond. The dog
entered across the fence during the day and is so far my prime suspect for
pond damage. I have left two empty pots by my fish pond to see if they are
grabbed during the night. Of course, if there is any further pond damage I
will be able to see the next morning what has done it.

Doug

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I would bet it's the dog. My neighbors dog would actually jump in the
ponds, knocking the rock necklace along the edge in the water and knock over
and break the plants. He refused to put the dog up until I asked him about
his Ins Co,.... he quickly got a chain for the dog. I was quite happy when
they moved.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:54 AM posted to rec.ponds

On 25-Nov-2011, "ReelMckoi" wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message

[...]

The night before last, at about 4am, I spotted on the CCTV a fox tugging at
the netting over my pond. It looked quite strong and it also put its feet in
the water. Foxes are now my prime suspects for pond damage. The next step is
finding out how to prevent them from doing it. I might try a beam which
sounds an alarm when cut. I already have a proximity light which comes on
but the foxes tend to ignore it.

Doug.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:55 AM posted to rec.ponds

"Doug" wrote in message

[...]

A fox! Wow... could they be thirsty and just looking for water? You can try
one of those motion sprayers. Some people have success with them. Or try
using an electric fence, but that's a lot of work to set up. They keep the
pests out of my gardens. I string them about 9" above the ground and about
10" above that.... for about 6 horizontal rows.

The fish were the draw in my ponds and the hassle just got to were it wasn't
worth it anymore. Now with the fish gone, the ponds are very little work,
and the predators, snakes, raccoons etc left.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Dead Group Usenet Poster Roses 0 26-02-2014 11:54 PM
Is this group dead or is the other one ? Martin H. Eastburn Roses 15 10-11-2006 02:40 PM
Matilda is dead too [Was: Dead Dolly] Phred sci.agriculture 1 26-04-2003 12:30 PM
Matilda is dead too [Was: Dead Dolly] Phred sci.agriculture 1 15-02-2003 03:34 PM