Old 02-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Cybe R. Wizard

Default Settling chamber plans

On Fri, 02 May 2003 13:40:58 -0500, Michael Shaffer wrote:

Hey, will this work? I plan on using a plastic drum (like they sell
chemicals in) for the chamber.

http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/chamber.jpg

-Mike

Your pump will likely outrun your siphon. Are the water levels all
the same or near it? The siphon will try to equalize the water
levels, but will probably not keep up with the pump flow unless you
have /big/ piping.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:21 PM
Michael Shaffer

I know, but won't the solids hurt the pump if I put it in the pond?

KenCo wrote:
Michael Shaffer wrote:

Hey, will this work? I plan on using a plastic drum (like they sell
chemicals in) for the chamber.

http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/chamber.jpg

-Mike

the VF will/can use the solids.

starting the flow and/or keeping it will be hard.

the pipe into barrel must be short so solids can
actually settle and put a 90o elbow on the pipe
end to discharge sideways.

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced.

Old 02-05-2003, 10:00 PM
Michael Shaffer

Here's a picture of it so far, but that's only a 30 gallon can, I'm
going to use a 55 gallon one. Plus I haven't bought the right pipes yet,
those are all 3" ones I had already.

Old 02-05-2003, 11:20 PM
John Hines

Michael Shaffer wrote:

BTW, does anybody know where I can get one of those drums (think they're
like 55 gallon)

http://www.chemtainer.com

All kinds of big ones.
Old 02-05-2003, 11:20 PM
John Hines

Michael Shaffer wrote:

I guess I should add that I have a lot of trees above my pond which is
why I was making a settling chamber. I wanted to make a bottom drain but
I thought this would be easier. If I made a bottom drain would that work
better?

As some one who built a pond, under trees, and is about to drain, and
try and install a bottom drain now, I'll just emphatically add YES!

Old 02-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Dave Bell

On Fri, 2 May 2003, Michael Shaffer wrote: (Top-posting to his own posts)

actually now that I think about it I guess I should put the pipe as far
into the pond as possible to get the biggest suction force.

Two things, not particularly compatible he
1) You do want to put the supply pipes as deep into the pond as you can,
so as to pick up the debris that sinks.
2) You want to minimize the length and number of angled fittings in the
supply pipe, to maximize flow.

Also, with the trees, a surface skimmer is a real good idea.

You might think about combining these: Put a fairly high output pump, or
at least one that can prodcue a good flow at high pressure, in the
"clean" side of a skimmer box. Direct its output as a jet, to pick up
bottom debris in a venturi, and flow that with a larger volume of slower
water, up and into the settling tank. As previously mentioned, have the
inlet pipe to the settling tank exit to the side, giving a swirling effect
to the water; this will greatly help collecting the debris and letting it
settle out. With the setling tank buried the way you have it, there is a
minimum of static head, and you should be able to get pretty good
scavenging off the bottom of the pond.

Dave

Old 03-05-2003, 06:32 AM
Snooze

"Michael Shaffer" wrote in message
Hey, will this work? I plan on using a plastic drum (like they sell
chemicals in) for the chamber.

http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/chamber.jpg

-Mike

I didn't see in your plans a convent way to clean the muck out of the
bottom. Reaching down 3-4ft with a small bucket to scoop out the muck is not
fun, that means stick your head into the barrel as well.

I personally prefer to have the barrel above ground, and a bulkhead placed
near the bottom with a garden hose faucet attached to it. Makes it really
easy to use the 10% water changes to water the garden as well.

Sameer