Old 04-05-2003, 05:20 AM
John Rutz

Default Feeding fish

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
On Sat, 03 May 2003 18:00:41 -0500, Priscilla McCullough wrote:

How often do you feed your fish?
I feed every evening on weekdays and on weekends I give them a
little something that morning to. I just like to watch them go to
town. lol Priss

I feed only in the mornings 'cause I've heard, and it made sense to
me, that fish metabolism is lower at night and food might not digest
properly. If I miss a morning I just wait 'til next day.

Cybe R. Wizard

I feed only inthe mornings too but thats cause my Koi wont eat after
lunch - seriously
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 04-05-2003, 06:32 AM
wekimer

If I'm home, I feed twice a day, mid-morning and mid-afternoon. When I'm
working, I only feed later afternoon.

Old 04-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Gregory Young

In nature Koi , which are benthic fish (bottom feeders), tend to browse all
day. Food is constantly being brought in via water currents, etc.
For best health and growth, esp. in first 3 -4 years, when Koi growth is at
its peak, you really should feed them 6 times per day! That is how many
breeders get the great growth you see in quality Koi.
That being said, I am lucky to feed them twice daily, and usually only make
it once daily.
If you want fast growth, and healthy fish, feed balanced foodstuff. You can
even purchase an automatic feeder, that you can program to scatter food
multiple times a day, in controlled amounts.
Frequent, small, feeds are best for most animals, no question, but you have
to be practical..
Happy ponding,
Greg

"Priscilla McCullough" wrote in message
I leave to early for work in the mornings to feed.
Its still dark here when I go to work. :-(
Priss

Old 05-05-2003, 06:20 AM
Tom La Bron

JustMeKOI,

I have spoken about this before in this venue.

It is not the frequency that matters it is the amount you are feeding. I
feed my fish six times a day during the summer months that they are in the
ponds. If you are trying to get growth on your fish you feed 2% to 3% of
the combined fish's body weight and divide that by 6 and feed that amount 6
times a day.

If you are just looking for a maintenance feeding schedule you feed on 1% of
the fish's combined body weight and divide that by 6 and feed that amount 6
times a day.

This gives the fish the most amount of nourishment it requires and gives the
fish's digestive tract plenty of time to digest the food allowing the fish
to get the most use out of the food that you are giving.

It works great and is very effective.

HTH

Tom L.L.
----------------------
"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
Greg,
Someone once told me that the pros that feed their Koi so often will also

do
a lot of water changes and have super duper filtration system, or they

have
a huge natural mud pond.

Old 06-05-2003, 03:22 AM
Just Me \Koi\

So Tom,

I thought for a while about your approach and see absolutely no problem with
it.

When I try to feed my fish I run into a problem that maybe you can help me
solve. How do
I keep Mr. Pig (One Sanke in my pond) from eating a lot more than his share?
You see if I put the right portion as you described, Mr. Pig eats more than
others, then my Charkoi gorges themselves, then my .....

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 06-05-2003, 03:22 AM
Lee Brouillet

Good question. I usually feed them when I leave for work in the morning, or
when I go out to check on them. That's just a "snack". My fish are night
feeders: when the light comes on, they get frantic (talk about a Pavlov
response!). They probably get 4-6 feedings (TV commercial breaks) throughout
the evening. "Breakfast" is a slow process: I usually need to get my rake
and swoosh the food back from the skimmer, but they eat it all in about 3
minutes. The double handfuls they get in the evening are gone, like -
NOW!!! It's amazing that they can eat that fast. On the weekends, they may
get a couple of extra "snacks". But they eat several meals, spaced out over
several hours. They grow well: I had some last season that put on 6-8"
during the "season"; I have one fish, born last July, that's 10" this year.

Lee

t...

Old 06-05-2003, 03:22 AM
MISSYMAGICGIRL

I read somewhere that it recommmeneded to moistion the food before giving it to
them? Is this true??

Sacha
Old 06-05-2003, 03:22 AM
Lee Brouillet

There's some speculation that pre-moistening (???) the food means that it
won't swell in the fish's intestines at a later time, possibly causing
problems. Some people I've come across will soak the pellets in orange juice
as a way to introduce extra Vit. C . . . Me? I just toss it in. Of course,
if I ever experience problems with that method, I'll change immediately G

Lee

Old 06-05-2003, 03:23 AM
Gregory Young

They feed them more often, but in smaller portions (to mimic their grazing
tendencies).. sorry, I should have mentioned the reduced portion piece!!
Overfeeding is worse than underfeeding for a multitude of reasons.
Happy ponding,
Greg

Old 06-05-2003, 03:23 AM
Gregory Young

You're right on, as usual Tom!
I should have emphasized that critical piece of the equation.. to reduce the
amount with each feed, to reach the same total daily amount.
I assumed people would know that.. mea culpa
Happy ponding,
Greg

Old 06-05-2003, 03:23 AM
Gregory Young

Sacha:
If you do soak the food be sure to discard any that isn't eaten at that
feed.. don't save it for later, as once food gets wet the lipids (fats)
start breaking down.
Happy ponding,
Greg

Old 06-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Just Me \Koi\

10" in one year?

--
_______________________________________

Old 06-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Lee Brouillet

Yep. However, in all fairness, it's about 4 inches bigger than its siblings.
I think (in koi vernacular) it's a Toby. But s/he's a big fishie this year!

Lee

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
10" in one year?

--
_______________________________________

Old 08-05-2003, 04:56 AM
Tom La Bron

JustmeKOI,

It would seem to me that broadcasting the food over a larger area of the
pond would be called for in this situation. Or feed a portion at one end
and while the big ones are eating it put the rest of the food at the other
end of the pond. As soon as you establish a trend in feeding usually the
fish get the idea.

Tom L.L.

Old 08-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Mucho gracias compadre!

--

feeding fish 062004 David H Ponds 0 20-06-2004 10:04 PM
winter feeding fish *muffin* Ponds 4 18-10-2003 04:12 PM
Feeding fish: surface vs. deep JGW Ponds 6 09-09-2003 01:09 AM
Feeding fish in planted tank Artur Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 07:24 AM
Feeding fish in planted tank Artur Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 11-03-2003 07:45 PM