Old 04-05-2003, 05:56 AM
Madd Hatter

Default What type of small to medium catfish could I breed in a pond?

Hiya Folks

This is the same pond that I am thinking of putting cichlids in.. I just
filled the pond with water today. I'll have the pump/filter hooked up soon.
I'll be climating it for the rest of the month as I add plants slowly...
(BTW, any recommendations of plants that are relatively easy to find wouldbe
appreciated!)...

I have always loved catfish (I keep a few different synodontis in my
aquariums). I was sondering if there are any cats that are around the 6" to
8" full size range that I could attempt to spawn in my pond... They need to
be able to tolerate temperatures around 68 to 70 degrees. They also need to
be able to coexist w/ south/central american cichlids like texas cichlid or
jaguar cichlid (that might be pushin it!). Would Raphael cats work?

Old 04-05-2003, 07:56 AM
Moontanman

Spotted bullheads, a native catfish from florida might work well.

Moon
remove nospam from e-mail to send to me, I grow trees in aquariums like bonsai.
I breed dwarf crayfish, great for planted community tanks. If you can get me a
shovelnose sturgeon fingerling (Scaphirhynchus platorynchus) no wild caught
please, contact me
Old 04-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Just Me \Koi\

Michael, These are JAWS type Cats. Never knew catfish come that big!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"MLF" wrote in message :

I don't think this is the size you have in mind, but here's a way to get
some for free:

http://www.johnsjottings.com/archive..._noodling.html

http://espn.go.com/outdoors/general/...h/1336494.html

Old 04-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Madd Hatter

Dang!!!! Even the Massai warriors took atleast a spear when they used to
hunt lion!
"MLF" wrote in message

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote:
Michael, These are JAWS type Cats. Never knew catfish come that big!

Apparently catfish over 100 pounds are not unknown, although they are rare
today. They will, however, just keep growing as long as they have what

they
need to do so. A six-foot 100 pound catfish is not something I want

attached
to my arm in 5 feet of muddy water.

BTW: Noodling is a fairly common "sport" in the Gulf area. Personally, I
find the whole thing better left to those with more guts than sense. It's

very dangerous activity.

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)

Old 05-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Russ and Cathy

When i was a child, we had a cottage on a lake near the thousand islands in
New York. I watched some guys pull a catfish that big out of their boat. I
was very leary after that to swim in that lake.
Cathy

"MLF" wrote in message

"Madd Hatter" wrote:
I have always loved catfish (I keep a few different synodontis in my
aquariums). I was sondering if there are any cats that are around the 6"

8" full size range that I could attempt to spawn in my pond... They need

be able to tolerate temperatures around 68 to 70 degrees. They also need

be able to coexist w/ south/central american cichlids like texas cichlid

or
jaguar cichlid (that might be pushin it!). Would Raphael cats work?

I don't think this is the size you have in mind, but here's a way to get
some for free:

http://www.johnsjottings.com/archive..._noodling.html

http://espn.go.com/outdoors/general/...h/1336494.html

BTW: These are released after catching them.

Old 05-05-2003, 09:20 AM
Just Me \Koi\

I am glad you used caution after seeing a catfish that big in your local
lake when you were a kid. I bet the catfish in the first picture will
swallow a kid and not even burp afterwards!

--
_______________________________________

Old 06-05-2003, 02:22 AM
MLF

"BenignVanilla" m wrote:
My first thought was that the photo was faked...are there
really cat's that big? How do these guys muscle them? The fish
must be strong as hell.

They are strong and wrestling them to the surface even for a moment to take
their picture requires tenacity, strength, and courage. And a touch of
lunacy.

BTW: I've posted some pictures of some additional pictures of catfish that
have been noodled. These are truely huge fish. If you're a member of Yahoo,
you can see them at:

Go to the "Photos" section and pick the "Cat Noodling" folder.

Old 06-05-2003, 02:22 AM
jammer

On Mon, 5 May 2003 16:33:49 -0500, "MLF"
wrote:

"Cat Noodling"

I used to watch crazy people do that in Oklahoma...

If only we could skin a catfish quicker than it could skin us.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Madd Hatter

I wonder if I dug a pondin my front yard, if I could train one of those guys
to eat the door to door gas company guys that badger me mercilessly?
"ande" wrote in message
I live in central North Carolina (southern red-neck heaven). We have a
large dam in our main river. A few years back that dam was suffering from
some damage under water and the county hired a team of divers to go in and
repair it. This all had to be done under water because opening the dam
would flood residential areas. Anyway, those divers reported catfish
sightings that they compared in size with VW Beetles. Needless to say, I
don't swim in the river.

"BenignVanilla" m wrote

in
message ...
"Madd Hatter" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
My thoughts exactly.... Those look big enough that a little twist in
evolution coulda had them keeping US in ornamental islands in their

rivers
and lakes! (Wiggle your tail close to the land son, lets see if the

stupid
humans come out and grab you!)

My first thought was that the photo was faked...are there really cat's

that
big? How do these guys muscle them? The fish must be strong as hell.

BV.

Old 06-05-2003, 10:32 PM
MLF

"jammer" j@mmer wrote:
"Cat Noodling"

I used to watch crazy people do that in Oklahoma...

I almost responded to the poster who asked how she could control the
neighborhood cats with a suggestion that she get one of these. I guarantee
that the cat problem would disappear (gulp!) in short order.

Old 09-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Tom L. La Bron

Hey Madd,

I have a sign around my ponds now warning people
about "Attack Goldfish." ;-)

Tom L.L.
"Madd Hatter"
wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
I wonder if I dug a pondin my front yard, if I

could train one of those guys
to eat the door to door gas company guys that

badger me mercilessly?
"ande" wrote in

message
I live in central North Carolina (southern

red-neck heaven). We have a
large dam in our main river. A few years back

that dam was suffering from
some damage under water and the county hired a

team of divers to go in and
repair it. This all had to be done under

water because opening the dam
would flood residential areas. Anyway, those

divers reported catfish
sightings that they compared in size with VW

Beetles. Needless to say, I
don't swim in the river.

"BenignVanilla"

wrote