Old 27-02-2003, 03:53 AM
Lee Brouillet

Default Coconut fiber

It seems that the general consensus of this group, when asked about
soil-less planting media, is to go the "well washed kitty litter" route. I
bought a bag in anticipation of having to repot all my plants. However, it
was also suggested that I try coconut fiber, as it was lighter. I understand
that it will disintegrate over a year or so's time, but by that time, I'd
have to repot anyway (right?). So it's the proverbial "6 of one/half dozen
of the other".

Which is better, and why? Also, in doing a search for coconut fiber, it
appears to be available in little blocks, like you would use for planting
seeds. But how would you repot a lily, with already established roots? So
far, I've only purchased new plants; I haven't had to repot them (new
experience!). Also, will lotus grow in kitty litter?

Lee

Old 27-02-2003, 04:28 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

We have gone the rocks route for most of our plants. They don't seem to
mind at all! Rocks are easy for replanting!

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 27-02-2003, 06:24 AM
KenCo

Lee Brouillet wrote:

try "long fibre sphagum moss" w/ some pea stone
on top, it works great.

plant in middle, light layer of pea stone on top
then soak 5+ mins in a bucket of water to keep
the moss down.

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced.
Old 27-02-2003, 02:03 PM
Lee Brouillet

Wouldn't the moss have an affect on the pH? I keep mine well-buffered, but
don't want to upset the apple cart, so to speak! I'm really afraid to try
pea gravel, as I've seen what my pond hellions do to it (and even the
larger, egg-sized stuff!) I was going to use flat rock over the top of the
kitty litter or fiber - something they can't pick up and move! I can use the
gravel in the watergardens in the back yard, but I need something my fish
won't destroy in fits of boredom!

Lee

Old 27-02-2003, 03:05 PM
John Rutz

Lee Brouillet wrote:
Wouldn't the moss have an affect on the pH? I keep mine well-buffered, but
don't want to upset the apple cart, so to speak! I'm really afraid to try
pea gravel, as I've seen what my pond hellions do to it (and even the
larger, egg-sized stuff!) I was going to use flat rock over the top of the
kitty litter or fiber - something they can't pick up and move! I can use the
gravel in the watergardens in the back yard, but I need something my fish
won't destroy in fits of boredom!

Lee

I gave up on the cat litter seems that no mater what I did the Koi mannnaged to depot most of the litter

went to large gravel 1" or so

--
John Rutz

I'm not Porg am not am not am so
see my pond at:
http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 27-02-2003, 06:11 PM
zookeeper

I haven't tried kitty litter, but would be concerned about the mess
generated when the koi tip over the pots. Coconut fiber would be
lighter. Coconut fiber is available in:
* bricks (expand to a nice loose fluffy medium when you add water. I
toss mine into a large plastic bag, bucket or wheelbarrow first.) -or-
* chunks (these are commonly used for potting orchids. Just fill half
of pot with chunks, then top with large, 3 inch or more, "koi-proof"
flat river rock; soak planted pot before putting into pond).

I converted almost all of my pond plants to red lava rock (recycled from
two 55gal filter barrels!) covered with flat river rock two years ago.
The plants do well and the koi don't root in them as much. Now, if the
raccoons would not tip over the pots on the ledge, everything would be
fine. Will be tying the pots to the pond rim this year to try to foil
the happy little critters!
--
Kathy B (Oregon -- sniff, no snow here)
3500g pond w/ 13 pond pigs

Old 27-02-2003, 06:20 PM
K30a

My koi managed to remove ALL the kitty
litter from my lily pots.
This year the lilies are going to have small
boulders in with them.

k30a
Old 27-02-2003, 07:12 PM
Lee Brouillet

Well, poo! Here I am, a day late and a dollar short *again*! Well, I can use
the kitty litter in the water gardens, where there are no cantankerous koi.
I'm trying to find the point where I can hybridize the pond between "koi
pond" and "water garden". No dirt. No rocks. No gravel. Now, No kitty
litter. Hmph. What's a body to do? There's a store here in town that deals
with hydroponics. I'll check to see if they have any of the coconut fiber; I
think it's that fluffy stuff I want.

I've already siliconed plastic grass (the long, wavy, ornamental stuff) into
3-holed bricks and sunk them to the bottom (they actually look quite nice.
They don't deteriorate or get out of hand, and when they get dirty, I just
reach in, pull 'em out, and hose 'em off!). I *like* my lilies: I just have
to find some kind of media that the fish won't mess with. They will leave
certain lilies alone, but the dirt has to go.

Open for suggestions!?!
Lee

Old 27-02-2003, 09:49 PM
Sam Hopkins

Go to the pet store and purchase Flourite. It's clay that's been smashed up
to the size of aquarium gravel. It is iron rich porous so it has the ability
to store trace minerals. Your plants will love the iron and grow lots better
than using kitty litter or coconut fiber.

Sam

Old 28-02-2003, 03:39 PM
KenCo

Lee Brouillet wrote:

Wouldn't the moss have an affect on the pH? I

I doubt it.
this isnt "peat moss", long fibre sphagum
moss is/was a plant.

Old 28-02-2003, 07:52 PM
~ jan

IMO, anything you have to buy is a waste..... ;o) Big rocks within a basket
are the easiest way to go, though I would not do Lilies like that.... but
then I've also moved all most all lilies to a lily pond, as my koi ponds
are too shady. I do have 2 lilies that do fine in the shade and they will
stay put with the koi. For the most part they have sandy soil to dig their
roots into, but the hard round rhizome part has big rocks on it. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a