GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Question about galvanized steel? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/207223-question-about-galvanized-steel.html)

Lori Walker 24-05-2013 03:38 PM

Question about galvanized steel?

Hi....new to forum....my husband and I are beginning construction on our
pond this weekend. We are planning a tunnel in the bottom. A friend
gave us a piece of drainage pipe that is 12" in diameter and about 28"
long....the perfect size we wanted...but, it turns out it is made of
galvanized steel not the corrugated plastic type.....would this be safe
for the tunnel? I have read that the galvanized steel could be
toxic...is that true? I would love to hear from someone quickly.....I
am so anxious to beging building our pond over the weekend....and need
some time to find aother pipe if necessary.

thanks!
Lori

--
Lori Walker

~ jan[_3_] 25-05-2013 07:29 PM

Question about galvanized steel?

On Fri, 24 May 2013 15:38:12 +0100, Lori Walker
wrote:

Hi....new to forum....my husband and I are beginning construction on our
pond this weekend. We are planning a tunnel in the bottom. A friend
gave us a piece of drainage pipe that is 12" in diameter and about 28"
long....the perfect size we wanted...but, it turns out it is made of
galvanized steel not the corrugated plastic type.....would this be safe
for the tunnel? I have read that the galvanized steel could be
toxic...is that true? I would love to hear from someone quickly.....I
am so anxious to beging building our pond over the weekend....and need
some time to find aother pipe if necessary.

thanks!
Lori

Hi Lori,

The worry with galvanized is the zinc. If your water has a pH of 7-7.5 or
higher, it won't leach, but if you have an acidic pH then it will. You
could probably coat the inside of the pipe perhaps.

There are other worries with tunnels though, depending on your flow rate
and such, is that often that is where a fish will go to die, so be sure you
have easy access to that tunnel to clean it out if necessary. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us