GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   UV Recommendation Requested! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/21134-uv-recommendation-requested.html)

Mr CDW 07-05-2003 04:44 PM

UV Recommendation Requested!

Pond is about 1200 gallons. Running an 1800 Supreme pump encased in lava rock.
About 1/2 runs into a filter and the other half simply flows back into the
pond. I would be installing the UV on this part running into the pond.
Please recommend size and brand of UV.
No amount of bio "stuff" seems to clear the pond until plants take hold late in
August/September so I'm ready to go UV.
Thanks!
Carl Wytovich

Go Fig 07-05-2003 05:08 PM

UV Recommendation Requested!

In article ,
(Mr CDW) wrote:

Pond is about 1200 gallons. Running an 1800 Supreme pump encased in lava
rock.
About 1/2 runs into a filter and the other half simply flows back into the
pond. I would be installing the UV on this part running into the pond.
Please recommend size and brand of UV.
No amount of bio "stuff" seems to clear the pond until plants take hold late
in
August/September so I'm ready to go UV.

I prefer Tropic Marin's Pond Clear, especially the pro units. But for
your pond any good 15 watt unit will clear your water in 4 days.

jay
Wed, May 7, 2003

Thanks!
Carl Wytovich

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."

Fringe Ryder 07-05-2003 10:32 PM

UV Recommendation Requested!

(Mr CDW) sez:
Pond is about 1200 gallons. Running an 1800 Supreme pump encased in lava rock.
About 1/2 runs into a filter and the other half simply flows back into the
pond. I would be installing the UV on this part running into the pond.
Please recommend size and brand of UV.
No amount of bio "stuff" seems to clear the pond until plants take hold late in
August/September so I'm ready to go UV.

Size and brand won't matter much; even a small UV will effectively clarify
it, and the UV wavelengths themselves are generic. So get one with
fittings you like.

I've been running an 18watt (I think) AquaFrog last year and this season
with great success. I like that it was trivial to plumb. Of course, this
means I have an enormous green frog spitting water into the center of my
pond, but as this adds more aeration (on top of two waterfalls and a stream
g), creates a hiding place from birds, and the fish like tickling
themselves in it, this is a "good thing" to me. You may prefer an inline
with big fittings.

LRobi31070 08-05-2003 08:44 PM

UV Recommendation Requested!

You can look on Futurepets.com for the size of UV you need. They are the most
reasonable on price I have found. Lou Ann

AZKalEl 09-05-2003 04:56 AM

UV Recommendation Requested!

One thing I would recommend is some type of prefilter before the water
gets to the UV. The quartz sleeve must be kept clean of debris or the
UV will not work. Mine goes through my filter first and then the UV,
and I still need to wipe the sleeve about every two weeks or so. It
gets a film on it that needs to be wiped off; must be from dead
microorganisms sticking to it or something.