GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Check valves reduce flow? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/21224-check-valves-reduce-flow.html)

Michael Shaffer 08-05-2003 02:20 AM

Check valves reduce flow?

Do check valves effect flow at all?

Michael Shaffer 08-05-2003 02:20 AM

Check valves reduce flow?

I mean affect, duh. effect isn't a verb

Michael Shaffer wrote:
Do check valves effect flow at all?

Chris 08-05-2003 02:32 AM

Check valves reduce flow?

They can, look into the end and if the hole for flow is not the same size or
bigger adapt to a bigger size. Some are built better than others.

Go Fig 08-05-2003 03:56 AM

Check valves reduce flow?

In article ,
Michael Shaffer wrote:

Do check valves effect flow at all?

Yes, spring type being much worse than flap, but flap type does have to
be in vertical position. I would try to use a flap type. They also
make electronic valves which are 'normally closed'. These alone can be
more $ than the entire pond.

jay
Wed, May 7, 2003

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."

BenignVanilla 08-05-2003 02:20 PM

Check valves reduce flow?

"Michael Shaffer" wrote in message
Do check valves effect flow at all?

I use a flap style with a 995GPH pump. I don't believe the flap is causing
any restriction worth measuring. When I turn the pump up to full blast, I
can see the water rolling out of the flap area...It moves it no problem.

BV.

Lee Brouillet 08-05-2003 02:44 PM

Check valves reduce flow?

Jay is correct: spring loaded check valves will significantly affect the
flow; they also clog (algae gets caught in the mechanism and is a royal pain
in the tush to clean). Most flap valves can be placed up to a 45 degree
angle; just ensure that the flap is perpendicular to the ground, hinged side
down, so it will close with the back-flow water pressure. That's the way
mine is, and it works perfectly.

Lee

Wed, May 7, 2003