Old 08-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Lisa

Default Determining Proper Flow From Biofilter - Chooseing biofilter size???????

Hi. I'm confused about this....

1. How do you determine the proper flow rate through a biofilter to
calculate say a water change once per hour or say twice per hour?

2. If you have say an 1800 gph pump moving your biofilter.... Does
the resulting spillover SPEED/VOLUME from the biofilter/waterfall to
the pond, vary with the size of the filter tub?

I.e.; if I have an 1800 gph pump. Would I have a different
Rate/speed/volume OUT of the waterfall if I have a 35 gallon bio vs. a
70 gallon?
Would I have a wimpier waterfall with a 70 than a 35?

I'm debating about making a biofilter out of a garbage can (or
similar) vs. a 70g rubbermaid stock tank. I am worried the 70g tank -
because of having more water in it - would dissipate the action of the
pump/waterfall.

I hope my question makes sense even if it might be a stupid question?
Old 09-05-2003, 01:08 AM
Lisa

That's good to hear!

OK - I also understand the closer the pump is to the filter and the
less tubing involved - give you better flow or more oomph.

I'm now looking to buy tubing. Expensive!

I'm either going to get (2)-1800 gph pumps or an 1800/2400 combo.

The 1800 has an output hole of 3/4"
The 2400 has 1"

Should I get 2" tubing for these 2 pumps? Or 1.5" Which would be
better for more flow or doesn't it matter at some diameter point?

Also - would I need a larger tube to go from my prefilter to my pump
also? Or is hose diameter not an issue before the pump?
Old 09-05-2003, 04:20 AM
Bob H

I think I would agree with John, I would use the 1 1/2, I think I would also
go with the 1800/2400 combo that way you could run the smaller one 24/7
&both with the bigger one bi-passing the filter for show

om...

Old 09-05-2003, 07:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"Lisa" wrote in message
om...
That's good to hear!

OK - I also understand the closer the pump is to the filter and the
less tubing involved - give you better flow or more oomph.

I'm now looking to buy tubing. Expensive!

I'm either going to get (2)-1800 gph pumps or an 1800/2400 combo.

The 1800 has an output hole of 3/4"
The 2400 has 1"

Should I get 2" tubing for these 2 pumps? Or 1.5" Which would be
better for more flow or doesn't it matter at some diameter point?

IMHO...go as big as you can afford...you can always put a valve in line to
effectively "make the pipe smaller". Small pipe can't be made "bigger".

BV.