GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   LOOK What We Found in Our Pond this Morning! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/21587-look-what-we-found-our-pond-morning.html)

Critical Popperian 10-05-2003 12:20 AM

LOOK What We Found in Our Pond this Morning!

LOOK What We Found in Our Pond this Morning!

Seeing is believing!

http://www.popperian.com/pond/page15.htm

zookeeper 10-05-2003 12:56 AM

LOOK What We Found in Our Pond this Morning!

Wow! That's definitely a mean looking turtle! Glad he didn't catch up to
you or Rusty.
--
zookeeper
3500gal pond, Oregon

K30a 10-05-2003 01:08 AM

LOOK What We Found in Our Pond this Morning!

oh-my-gawd!!

Maybe he blew in with one of the tornadoes
and/or thunderstorms!

k30a

Michael Shaffer 10-05-2003 01:32 AM

LOOK What We Found in Our Pond this Morning!

Hey, just wondering what kind of pump you have? I'm thinking of making a
stream kind of like that.

Pinkpggy 10-05-2003 02:08 AM

LOOK What We Found in Our Pond this Morning!

Yuck!!!! Are they common in your area?

Phyllis and Jim Hurley 10-05-2003 02:56 AM

LOOK What We Found in Our Pond this Morning!

That visitor would certainly thin the population of your pond!

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
om...

Moontanman 10-05-2003 03:56 AM

LOOK What We Found in Our Pond this Morning!

Nice looking turtle, not a good choice for a goldfish pond for sure. BTW your
turtle is not an alligator snapping turtle. Look alligator spapping turtle on
google to see what I mean. What you have is a common snapping turtle. Still
mean customer! Thank you for not killing it and for taking the time to release
it back into the wild. Beleive it or not an alligator snapper isn't as
agressive as a common snapper but the alligator snapper looks a lot meaner.

Moon
remove nospam from e-mail to send to me, I grow trees in aquariums like bonsai.
I breed dwarf crayfish, great for planted community tanks. If you can get me a
shovelnose sturgeon fingerling (Scaphirhynchus platorynchus) no wild caught
please, contact me

jammer 10-05-2003 04:08 AM

LOOK What We Found in Our Pond this Morning!

On 10 May 2003 02:55:35 GMT, ospam (Moontanman)
wrote:

Nice looking turtle, not a good choice for a goldfish pond for sure. BTW your
turtle is not an alligator snapping turtle. Look alligator spapping turtle on
google to see what I mean. What you have is a common snapping turtle. Still
mean customer! Thank you for not killing it and for taking the time to release
it back into the wild. Beleive it or not an alligator snapper isn't as
agressive as a common snapper but the alligator snapper looks a lot meaner.

Spending years in rural Oklahoma, i know that these things are indeed
mean! The only other thing i know of that will not let go are the big
crabs off of the california coast. When i was a young person, i was at
the pier and was given a large crab to take home and eat. On the way
home i almost chickened out and took him back to the sea, but then he
got ahold of my thumb.......After i got my thumb back, i had no
trouble eating him.

M4RV1N 10-05-2003 05:20 AM

LOOK What We Found in Our Pond this Morning!

Critical Popperian
writes:

LOOK What We Found in Our Pond this Morning!

Seeing is believing!

http://www.popperian.com/pond/page15.htm

Thanks for sharing those, but as someone mentioned, that is no alligator
snapping turtle--it's a common snapper. This...

http://www.turtleman.com/turtle4.html

is an alligator snapper, and it could bite your common snapper, shell and all,
into pieces and eat the whole thing. They can weigh 200 pounds. But they are
a river turtle (now endangered) and won't show up in your pond. I own a couple
of these, and while it's true they're less aggressive than common snappers,
when they *do* bite they can remove a hand.

Very good thing the dog did not get nailed or it would have a scar for life.
You don't tug on superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind, and you don't
get within range of the business end of a snapper! I too want to thank you for
releasing it into the wild, as everything has a role in the balance of nature.

Mark Ervin

John Rutz 10-05-2003 05:44 AM

Critical Popperian wrote:
LOOK What We Found in Our Pond this Morning!

Seeing is believing!

http://www.popperian.com/pond/page15.htm

--
I may be from the desert but that looks like your friendly neiborhood
snapping turtle

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

before you criticise someone
walk a mile in thier shoes
that way when you criticise them
your a mile away and have thier shoes

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

John Rutz 10-05-2003 05:56 AM

John Rutz wrote:

Critical Popperian wrote:

LOOK What We Found in Our Pond this Morning!

Seeing is believing!

http://www.popperian.com/pond/page15.htm

I onlyh saw the first pic when i looked didn t realize there was more
had to go back and reload to get the rest some realy neat pics CP

landsend 10-05-2003 01:08 PM

LOOK What We Found in Our Pond this Morning!

Thanks for sharing...I've never seen a snapping turtle so very educational
and enjoyable.
Carole

REBEL JOE 10-05-2003 03:44 PM

LOOK What We Found in Our Pond this Morning!

Wow that was cool if ya have another adventure take pics again you tell
a good story.

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND

Chris Tondreau 10-05-2003 05:20 PM

LOOK What We Found in Our Pond this Morning!

What an exciting find! Glad you were able to relocate him so easily &
manage to keep all your fingers :-)

Jacqui

[email protected] 10-05-2003 06:56 PM

LOOK What We Found in Our Pond this Morning!

a lot harder and more dangerous to try to kill the thing than release it. Ingrid