Old 11-05-2003, 07:20 AM
~ jan

Default Determining Proper Flow From Biofilter - Chooseing biofiltersize???????

Lisa,

I got a little lost in your questions, but if you want 1800g/hour going
thru a filter, you need something bigger than 1 garbage can, imo. Please
see the D.pond, & my filter on my web page below. The D.pond is running
1800g/hr through it. The pump had to be throttled as the 2" bulkhead would
not allow faster flow without lowering the water level in the bio-barrels
thus allowing up to 4-6 inches bio-bug media high & dry. Too small a
filter and too fast flow blows the muck right on through... or the water
backs up when the filter gets clogged.... or the pump starves, depending on
design. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter designs:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Lisa wrote:
OK - I also understand the closer the pump is to the filter and the
less tubing involved - give you better flow or more oomph.

I'm now looking to buy tubing. Expensive!

I'm either going to get (2)-1800 gph pumps or an 1800/2400 combo.

The 1800 has an output hole of 3/4"
The 2400 has 1"

Should I get 2" tubing for these 2 pumps? Or 1.5" Which would be
better for more flow or doesn't it matter at some diameter point?

Also - would I need a larger tube to go from my prefilter to my pump
also? Or is hose diameter not an issue before the pump?

ok Il try here the diameter doesnt mater if I remember how far you are
going with this
the 1.5 will handle the output of your pump for I would guess 10 or so
ft after that the 2 in would handle it ( we are talking friction losses
here not head ) personaly I would use the 1.5 at both ends of the pump
if possible