Old 11-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Jean-Pierre Abello

Default Frog and fish species that can survive Denver (Colorado) high altitude climate?

I am thinking of building a small frog & fish pond in my backyard in
Denver, Colorado. However because of the harsh climate and high
altitude (53000 ft), I need to find species that can survive the
occasional freezing temperatures and thin air of this region. Snow
falls frequently but normally does not stay for more than a few days.
Would anyone know of pond frogs and fish species that would well in
this climate? Thanks.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"Jean-Pierre Abello" wrote in message
om...
I am thinking of building a small frog & fish pond in my backyard in
Denver, Colorado. However because of the harsh climate and high
altitude (53000 ft), I need to find species that can survive the
occasional freezing temperatures and thin air of this region. Snow
falls frequently but normally does not stay for more than a few days.
Would anyone know of pond frogs and fish species that would well in
this climate? Thanks.

At 53000ft., you will need to ensure your pond plants do not grow high
enough to block commercial aircraft as they fly over. I also expect mountain
climbers will be coming to your backyard in order to achieve FA bragging
rights for a peak that is taller then Everest.

BV
couldn't resist the poke...sorry...

Old 13-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Jean-Pierre Abello

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in message ...
"Jean-Pierre Abello" wrote in message
om...
I am thinking of building a small frog & fish pond in my backyard in
Denver, Colorado. However because of the harsh climate and high
altitude (53000 ft), I need to find species that can survive the
occasional freezing temperatures and thin air of this region. Snow
falls frequently but normally does not stay for more than a few days.
Would anyone know of pond frogs and fish species that would well in
this climate? Thanks.

At 53000ft., you will need to ensure your pond plants do not grow high
enough to block commercial aircraft as they fly over. I also expect mountain
climbers will be coming to your backyard in order to achieve FA bragging
rights for a peak that is taller then Everest.

BV
couldn't resist the poke...sorry...

I think I'll start by counting 0s... Thanks :-)
Old 18-05-2003, 12:32 AM
James Meiss

In article ,
"BenignVanilla" m
wrote:

"Jean-Pierre Abello" wrote in message
om...
I am thinking of building a small frog & fish pond in my backyard in
Denver, Colorado. However because of the harsh climate and high
altitude (53000 ft), I need to find species that can survive the
occasional freezing temperatures and thin air of this region. Snow
falls frequently but normally does not stay for more than a few days.
Would anyone know of pond frogs and fish species that would well in
this climate? Thanks.

I live in Boulder...which is even a few hundred feet higher than the
mile high city. We have a 3ft deep pond with goldfish and shubunkin's
that overwinter just fine. My previous pond was more like 2-2.5 ft deep
and one winter it froze solid (fish fingers anyone?), but the 3ft depth
seems great--I get a layer of ice on the top (sometimes 8-10 inches),
but keep my waterfall running, or occasionally put a stock heater in to
keep an opening. Of course the last 3 or so winters have been
comparatively mild.

Our hardy lillies, water iris and some grasses overwinter well too.

--
James Meiss
http://amath.colorado.edu/faculty/jdm