Old 12-05-2003, 10:08 PM
*muffin*

Default waterlily depth

what is the depth of the planters for water lily's?
tropical & hardy?? ( the store says 3" for tropical & 18" for hardy)

I am finally getting in my pond after moving form my last abode with my
beloved pond(15 yrs ago)... but I don't remember the tropicals that close to
the top. ( doesn't give much leeway for, water evaporation &
refill.....mmmm)
I USED to just stick them in plastic tubs in dirt... I was thinking of
using milk crates,, with dirt wrapped in burlap... the 'store' sells regular
square meshed crates for them.
ALSO my depth is about 36 inches,, to stack the crates,, ( or whatever)
I was thinking of just stacking on another crate,, but don't think this is
high enough ( I gotta measure,, mmm).. or should I use concrete blocks?

I have a rogue hardy lily in an outdoor pond that grows all over & I know
it has over 2 feet of water over it,, so I was curious about the 'rules' on
depth , I was told, as it is doing well.

Old 13-05-2003, 11:44 PM
BenignVanilla

"*muffin*" wrote in message
[...]

I have a Nympaea "Peach Glow" lily in my pond. It sits on a shelf about
18-24 inches down. When I bought it the stems were only about 14 inches
long, and I swear that within days it was breaking the surface of the
water...It now has a ton of new leaves.

My neighbor also gave me a dwarf or miniature lily of some kind, and it is
planted a bit deeper, maybe 36''. It has not come up yet. I am beginning to
worry.

Anyway, there is my anecdotal evidence...

BV.

Old 17-05-2003, 03:56 AM
~ jan

Mini lily's need to be no more than a foot below surface. Most of the
others can handle 2 feet, and some, so I've heard, can handle being 6 feet
down. One needs to either do a little reading research or hands-on
experimentation. ~ jan

On Tue, 13 May 2003 09:36:15 -0400, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:

"*muffin*" wrote in message
[...]

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

WaterLily tabs Ok for rest of pond plants ? 2pods Ponds 4 08-05-2005 08:32 PM
Waterlily MARTINE HOWARD United Kingdom 4 29-11-2004 11:03 PM
Pink Waterlily closed Lostin1999 Ponds 2 09-09-2004 10:20 PM
Pink Waterlily closed 2pods Ponds 4 09-09-2004 10:20 PM
waterlily indoor ? Bing Lai Gardening 2 12-04-2003 04:44 AM