GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   unknown fish (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/22246-unknown-fish.html)

anon 13-05-2003 02:44 PM

unknown fish

I started in my small pond with 4 goldfish ( just the basic .25 cent
variety). Now I have 6 goldfish and 1 oddball that is the same size and
shape as the other small goldfish but it is a different color. It is a
murky brown/ black with a little light orange down its back.

My question is: Do goldfish have on occasion babies which are a different
color than the normal orange? If not, I have no idea where he came from.
There is no pond or stream nearby for him to have wondered in by mistake.

John Rutz 13-05-2003 02:44 PM

unknown fish

anon wrote:
I started in my small pond with 4 goldfish ( just the basic .25 cent
variety). Now I have 6 goldfish and 1 oddball that is the same size and
shape as the other small goldfish but it is a different color. It is a
murky brown/ black with a little light orange down its back.

My question is: Do goldfish have on occasion babies which are a different
color than the normal orange? If not, I have no idea where he came from.
There is no pond or stream nearby for him to have wondered in by mistake.

-- its a gold fish it may change color as it gets older may take a year
it reverted to origional carp color

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

GD 14-05-2003 03:56 AM

unknown fish

Sounds like a spawning occurred at some point. I am assuming the
original four fish have grown somewhat (25 cent goldfish can reach
reproductive size their first year), and the two new goldfish are
somewhat smaller. Young goldfish are usually brown, and take on
orange as they grow . Keep an eye on it: soon you may have 7
goldfish and no oddballs.

bern 14-05-2003 05:08 AM

unknown fish

"anon" no spam wrote in message ...
I started in my small pond with 4 goldfish ( just the basic .25 cent
variety). Now I have 6 goldfish and 1 oddball that is the same size and
shape as the other small goldfish but it is a different color. It is a
murky brown/ black with a little light orange down its back.

It is probably close to the "original" color of the goldfish before it
was bred to have such a bright color. Intensely inbred animals do
occasionally demonatrate such a "throwback". I got my goldfish
(comets) about 15 years ago. I have had many, many babies over the
years, and have kept the most interesting ones, and have sold the rest
to the local pet shop as feeders. I always keep a few of the "natural
color" fish around for the genetic diversity. At any rate, I have been
getting some very fancy finnage, as well as lots of ordinary looking
goldfish. This goldfish line has evolved into an ancillary to my pond
hobby.