Old 02-03-2003, 04:39 PM
Loren Wickline

Default move fish to new pond???

Hi! I just found this group and am happy to hear I am not the only one
anxious to get into spring.....although here in West Virginia it may be a
long time coming. Last spring I put in a 100 gallon preformed pond and the
pond bug bit me! I am now planning a larger pond for this spring (no
preformed liner this time....live and learn! too hard to install). My
question is: should i move some of my fish to the new pond after it's
established or leave them where they are since they are thriving? (Thriving,
you say? Those little suckers are so spoiled......always begging and always
receiving food and/or attention! But oh so cute!)
Another question: When is it safe to put in water lillies? Last year I
must've put them in too soon because two of the three did not live. What
should the water temp. be? And what if it frosts even after the water temp.
is high enough? (it's been known to frost in late May here).
Thanx for any suggestions and it's been a pleasure reading the other posts.
Loren

Old 02-03-2003, 05:39 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Loren Wickline wrote:
[...]

Hi Loren,
After the new pond is established you can move two fish to
the new pond then in two weeks move two more over. This
gives the new pond filter time to acclimate.
Concerning the lilies - if they are hardy they can be put in
the pond in May. Tropical lilies probably should wait until
June.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 02-03-2003, 05:39 PM
Loren Wickline

Actually I meant should I just get new fish for the new pond? I am keeping
the smaller pond also. My fish seem happy so I didn't know if I should move
some of them, all of them, or none of them?
hlink.net...

Old 03-03-2003, 06:55 AM
~ jan

On Sun, 02 Mar 2003 17:39:30 GMT, "Loren Wickline"
wrote:

Actually I meant should I just get new fish for the new pond? I am keeping
the smaller pond also. My fish seem happy so I didn't know if I should move
some of them, all of them, or none of them?

Welcome to rec.ponds Loren!

Put the fish you know are healthy into the new pond and use the old pond as
a quarantine pond. Quarantine goldfish for a minimum of 2 weeks, Koi 6
weeks and half way thru take a healthy one out of the new pond and put with
the new koi for the last 3 weeks. Koi can carry a virus that may not kill
the carrier, but can and have killed an entire pond if proper quarantine is
not followed. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 04-03-2003, 04:15 PM
Loren Wickline

thanx for all the suggestions......much appreciated.
"~ jan" wrote in message
s.com...
On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 15:05:42 GMT, wrote:

make that a month for GF. INgrid

Yea, I was thinking it should be longer... but am always worried a newbie
will say "that's too long" and not do it at all.

Prior to being wised up, 2 weeks for goldfish never hurt me.... but it's a
good month any more, I don't take chances with my lovelies. ) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

what is best way to move pond fish to new location? [email protected] Ponds 0 23-04-2014 12:40 PM
Comfrey -- to move or not move... FragileWarrior Gardening 7 16-08-2007 03:27 AM
Proper way to move a fish? jabriol Ponds 0 01-02-2006 03:58 AM
When to move fish?? Ponds 2 28-01-2005 11:55 PM
move fish abroad Hadewych Ponds (alternative) 2 13-10-2003 07:59 PM