GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fish not eating and staying in the same spot (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/22295-fish-not-eating-staying-same-spot.html)

Tom O Chianti 13-05-2003 09:20 PM

Fish not eating and staying in the same spot

About a week ago all of my fish stopped swimming around in the pond and have
stopped taking food. They all appear healthy but are staying in the same
spot. I thought it might be a heron that frightened them but I have been
watching and have seen none. any suggestions.

Tom

K30a 13-05-2003 09:32 PM

Fish not eating and staying in the same spot

A heron could have been there and you'd never
see him.
If they were visited by a heron they will take a while before they feel safe.
Some kind of underwater structure for them to hide in will help their stress
level.
I have an island untop of aged builder's brick and my fish like to hide in that
when needed.

k30a

Gregory Young 13-05-2003 11:44 PM

Fish not eating and staying in the same spot

To give an accurate answer to your question, one would need to know a few
more facts/observations:
Are they located near the surface/bottom?
You said they appear healthy, but:
Are their fins clamped/fully extended?
Do they appear to be "gasping"/breathing in an unusual/rapid fashion?
Has their color changed (ie blanching)?
Are they staying in an area where there is more aeration (ie near
stream/fountain/airstone, etc)?
What are your water quality parameters (pH, ammonia, nitrites, temperature,
dissolved oxygen)?
Let us know..
Happy ponding,
Greg

Mr CDW 14-05-2003 02:08 PM

Fish not eating and staying in the same spot

I had the exact same thing about two years back. Turned out to be a predator,
my oversized, vicious, killer frog. I tried all sorts of meds, water changes,
water testing, etc. Frogster stood watch throughout. Koi and Shubunkin were
"nicked" and showing the same symptoms as you describe.
One day, Frogster chose to disappear and the water inhabitants almost
immediately returned to normalcy.
Good luck!