GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bottom Drains and Vortexes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/22481-bottom-drains-vortexes.html)

BenignVanilla 14-05-2003 06:44 PM

Bottom Drains and Vortexes

I have a BD installed but I did not install the diffuser yet, so I have just
a raw pipe sticking up. I do not see any evidence of a vortex being created
in the water. Is it possible that the combination of 4'' pipe and size of my
pipe negates my need for a diffuser?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

Remove MYFRONTALLOBE to email me.

Lee Brouillet 14-05-2003 11:56 PM

Bottom Drains and Vortexes

Don't count on it. But even if it did, you still want the diffuser on it to
keep your fish from migrating from pond to veggie filter and back! Talk
about developing some muscles, swimming against the current on the way back
G!

Lee
"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

RichToyBox 15-05-2003 12:20 AM

Bottom Drains and Vortexes

BV,

The diffuser makes the water pull along the bottom, rather than coming
straight down to the bottom drain. With a diffuser the area of the pond
cleaned is much larger. I don't use a diffuser and feel that my bottom
drain does an excellent job, but it supposedly would be even better with
diffuser.
--
RichToyBox

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Just Me \Koi\ 15-05-2003 02:20 AM

Bottom Drains and Vortexes

I rigged up a DIY diffuser, using the wife's old dish. It makes a huge
difference in how much junk gets cleaned off the bottom of your pond!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

BenignVanilla 15-05-2003 01:44 PM

Bottom Drains and Vortexes

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
BV,

The diffuser makes the water pull along the bottom, rather than coming
straight down to the bottom drain. With a diffuser the area of the pond
cleaned is much larger. I don't use a diffuser and feel that my bottom
drain does an excellent job, but it supposedly would be even better with
diffuser.

I have parts for my own DIY design. I just haven't installed it yet.

BV.