Old 16-05-2003, 11:20 PM
*muffin*

Default salinity testing

ok, more questions (VBG)

I purchased a hydrometer which tests specific gravity & salinity in the
water.
( I wanted to test the salt content & then add salt to find out gallonage
for my pond)

when I 1st added the water,, I thought **YIKES** it read above 40!!! but,,
dang I forgot to look at directions,,,,, it said to tap off the air
bubbles............**DUHH**

it now reads UNDER "0".. looks like maybe 2 points under (?)
the test kit reads in PPT's & they are listed in numbers from "0" to "40"
soooo how does this read as the testing goes? from the other posts its in
the ".00" readings,, do I read the markers as ".00" to ".40" ???

since the reading is UNDER "0" should I add 10 lbs of salt ( pond should be
over 2500 gal) & get a reading? then add more to do the difference to figure
out the gallonage? do I HAVE to wait 1 day?? or can it be checked after the
salt has dissolved?
(HOW long does the salinity STAY in the pond?)

Old 17-05-2003, 12:32 AM
Bob

Don't know about the readings, as I don't use salt, but the salt stays in
your pond until you remove it. IE: Water changes. It won't evaporate by
itself. Just incase you don't know, plants don't like very much salt.

Bob

--
Take ME away to email

Check out my pond page at:
Http://Trains99.tripod.com
Click the My Pond button on the left

Old 17-05-2003, 02:08 AM
RichToyBox

The hydrometer needs to have a modification to be of any use. It reads PPT
max 40 which is 4% or about 13 times higher than you would ever want. Doc
Johnson shows a method of drilling a hole in the swing arm counterweight
about half way between the hinge and the point. Place in a container of
0.3% solution water (2.4 teaspoons per gallon) and see if it reads 30. If
it doesn't come up that high then drill the hole slightly larger. They are
designed for use in salt water aquaria. It is much easier and better to use
the liquid drop test kit.
--
RichToyBox

Old 18-05-2003, 07:32 PM
~ jan

On Sat, 17 May 2003 01:12:22 GMT, "RichToyBox"
wrote:

designed for use in salt water aquaria. It is much easier and better to use
the liquid drop test kit.

I agree, the meters have to be calibrated, and to calibrate you have to buy
the solution they sell, as it is darn difficult to make your own salt
solution accurate without a chemist's lab to do it in. (So says my chemist
hubby). I suppose one could calibrate the meter by using the liquid test to
double check the reading? Course it wouldn't hurt to be able to double
check the liquid test either.

What a hobby you've chosen, huh? ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Salinity pete Permaculture 34 04-07-2005 11:37 AM
Salinity? [email protected] Ponds 3 05-05-2005 01:49 PM
Salinity [Was: Environmental Hypocrisy] Phred sci.agriculture 0 16-07-2003 04:22 PM
pH testing sw United Kingdom 2 02-06-2003 06:08 PM
Soil testing kits Pat Kiewicz Edible Gardening 5 24-01-2003 12:18 AM