Old 18-05-2003, 06:44 AM
Sue Alexandre

Default Thanks K30A

Not sure if I feel more discouraged or less discouraged after reading your
post, but I appreciate you taking the time to answer. Knowing myself and
knowing how determined I can get about things I want, I imagine I should
start digging now because I feel a large turtle pond coming up! Fencing in
the entire yard is not an option.... I looked into doing that for our three
dogs, and it was much too expensive. We have an electric fence around the
perimeter..... do you think they sell those zapper collars small enough for
turtles? LOL Yes, I have seen turtle poop, and was shocked and amazed
the first few times that that could possibly come out of a cute little
turtle! I'm not sure how people keep turtles in small fish tanks.
Two more questions..... how deep should it be (just in CASE I really dig
one) to be able to overwinter them in the pond, and what precautions can I
build in to keep predators from stealing my turtles? (raccoons and the
like) Still in the thinking stages, but since spring/summer is still
young, I have a feeling that shovel will be itching away at me to start
digging.
Sue

Old 18-05-2003, 06:56 AM
K30a

Hi Sue!

You'd want it deep enough for the turtle(s) to be able to winter over. They
will settle on the bottom in the winter and will move around only when water
temps increase.So just like with fish a hole open in the ice is important.
Unless you live in Florida or some place nice and warm in the winter (sigh...
;-)

Straight sides are supposed to stop raccoons. Raccoons will swim but I imagine
a turtle would wise up and dive for the bottom and avoid any swimming raccoons.

I built an island in my pond. We used stacked builders brick (which makes for
great fish condos - even saw Yertle the Turtle hanging out in there). On the
top we found this great planter, DH says it looks like an oil filter, it is
round and 15" across and about 5 inches high. We put it on top and keep the
water at or above its top. It is planted with iris, lizards tail and creeping
jenny. I toss land snails on the island. One day I watched one of the turtles
push over an iris frond to get a snail that had snail-ed up the frond.crunch,
crunch!

k30a

OT diets - OT K30a - (welcome back K30a!) D Kat Ponds 0 04-09-2003 10:54 PM
K30a - question AngrieWoman Ponds 3 18-08-2003 06:03 AM
Hey k30a ? Bob H Ponds 6 14-08-2003 11:43 PM
K30a: illegal parrots feather Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 4 12-07-2003 10:32 PM
k30a... are you a biologist? a teacher? Don Ponds 9 27-06-2003 04:08 PM