Old 18-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Dan

Default Golden Orfe

Anyone keeping golden orfe's with their Koi? Mine are such voracious eaters
I'm wondering if my Koi spawns are being eaten by them. How big do they
get?

Old 18-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Dan wrote:
Anyone keeping golden orfe's with their Koi? Mine are such voracious eaters
I'm wondering if my Koi spawns are being eaten by them. How big do they
get?

I don't have orfe in with the koi, but I do have them in
with the goldfish. They do a good job of keeping the fry to
a managable level - some fry do survive but not many. The
orfe are about 12" at 5 or 6 years old.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 22-05-2003, 07:32 AM

they are very good population control. Ingrid

Old 22-05-2003, 09:56 AM
Theo van Daele

I have 9 of them with the Koi, and that works just fine

They grow about as fast as carp in the first years, and get up to about 10 -
12 inches.

They are faster/more agressive than koi when it comes to food, so you have
to adapt your feeding to that (all fish approach, I first throw stuff in the
middle of the pond, the sharks, erm, orfes dive to that food, then I feed
the koi)

They will also do population control on insects BTW, they can jump out of
the water to catch a bumble bee...

One of the weirdest things about them is that they can "fly" over the water
with just their tail in it, attaining serious speeds.

They are also stronger than koi, but at the same time react quicker to
stress situations, so they can serve as an "early warning" system.

Anyway, others may have more negative experiences, but I'm very happy I put
them in 5 years ago.

schreef in bericht

Old 22-05-2003, 09:20 PM
GB

They will also do population control on insects BTW, they can jump out
of
the water to catch a bumble bee...

One of the weirdest things about them is that they can "fly" over the

water
with just their tail in it, attaining serious speeds.

They also "fly" straight over the pond edge from time to time. I've
lost four
12"-14" ones in the past two years because I didn't find them before
they got
"sun-dried"!
--
GB
Extract digit to email.

Old 22-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Theo van Daele

Hmm... yeah, there's that !

When I rebuilt my pond this year (and had them all under the deck), the next
morning, I found 2 of them back in the pond I was draining, and one lying on
the ground next to it. They had just jumped "the fence".

Apparently I was just quick enough (I think half an hour max), put it back
into the water, rocked it gently, and suddenly it started to swim again like
nothing ever happened.

One of the little things I learned from that is to "inspect" the pond every
morning & every afternoon for fish that tried to find "a way out"...

Theo

PS: bigfoot... IIRC, isn't that a police thingy in the UK ?

Old 23-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Theo van Daele wrote:
Hmm... yeah, there's that !

When I rebuilt my pond this year (and had them all under the deck), the next
morning, I found 2 of them back in the pond I was draining, and one lying on
the ground next to it. They had just jumped "the fence".

Apparently I was just quick enough (I think half an hour max), put it back
into the water, rocked it gently, and suddenly it started to swim again like
nothing ever happened.

One of the little things I learned from that is to "inspect" the pond every
morning & every afternoon for fish that tried to find "a way out"...

Theo

PS: bigfoot... IIRC, isn't that a police thingy in the UK ?

Earlier this Spring when we moved the 2 year old koi into
the kiddie pool one jumped out. I found it in time and
walked it until I got tired then DH took over for awhile.
Then we let the fish go, thinking if it makes it fine if not
we tried. The other fish in the pool took over and swam
with this fish. One or either side and forced it to swim.
This continued until the fish was swimming on its own. My
DH was amazed and so was I. I had heard of this happening
but never saw it myself.
It's been 2 weeks and the fish are all doing fine. I must
also say that they are all going to a good home - a large
new pond that is now being constructed!

Old 23-05-2003, 03:45 PM
Nedra

Bonnie, My Koi came to the rescue of their brother/sister and swam
with it until it was able to go it alone. Made me cry to see them.

Nedra

Old 23-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Nedra wrote:
Bonnie, My Koi came to the rescue of their brother/sister and swam
with it until it was able to go it alone. Made me cry to see them.

Nedra

Hi Nedra,
It really was amazing to watch.

Old 23-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Theo van Daele

I can imagine...

I was just sitting at the pond (in the rain ) and was wondering
why there is so little agression between those animals.

Plump in a new fish, and it gets accepted same instant.

I haven't had the honour to watch what you did, but I can imagine it being a
bit of a mindblowing experience :-)

Theo

"Bonnie Espenshade" schreef in bericht

Old 23-05-2003, 10:58 PM
GB

PS: bigfoot... IIRC, isn't that a police thingy in the UK ?

Hi Theo,

I think you must be thinking of "Flat-foot". It's one of the more
polite names applied to UK police. Years of pavement (sidewalk)
pounding in London definitely flattened mine!
--
GB

Golden Orfe / Bluegills? Glenn Lynn Ponds 3 21-04-2004 04:04 PM
Golden Orfe Rhino Ponds 1 29-03-2004 07:02 AM
Golden Orfe Robert Brown Ponds (alternative) 1 25-06-2003 06:44 AM
golden orfe *muffin* Ponds 1 04-06-2003 10:32 PM
Golden orfe deformity Jeremy Ponds (alternative) 1 17-03-2003 02:20 AM