GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Why such a variety in sizes at same age? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/23292-why-such-variety-sizes-same-age.html)

P Davidson 19-05-2003 01:32 AM

Why such a variety in sizes at same age?

I purched most of my Koi several years ago and at the time, they were all
the same size (about 3 inches). They now vary in size from about 9 inches
up to about 15 inches. The larger ones are also much fatter.
Is this typical? Does this reflect differences in breeding or varieties?
Does color make a difference? Seems like my white/orange Koi are larger
than the orange/black combinations.
Paul D

~ jan 19-05-2003 01:44 AM

On Mon, 19 May 2003 00:27:16 GMT, "P Davidson" wrote:

I purched most of my Koi several years ago and at the time, they were all
the same size (about 3 inches). They now vary in size from about 9 inches
up to about 15 inches. The larger ones are also much fatter.
Is this typical? Does this reflect differences in breeding or varieties?
Does color make a difference? Seems like my white/orange Koi are larger
than the orange/black combinations.
Paul D

Generics and gender. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Just Me \Koi\ 19-05-2003 04:44 AM

Why such a variety in sizes at same age?

She meant genetics!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Just Me \Koi\ 19-05-2003 04:44 AM

Why such a variety in sizes at same age?

I've noticed that my solid color Koi tend to grow faster, and get sick less!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

. com...

~ jan 19-05-2003 06:20 AM

Why such a variety in sizes at same age?

LOL!!!! Genetics, I wish my spell check could read my mind. ~ jan

On Sun, 18 May 2003 19:28:00 -0700, "Paul in Redland"
wrote:

That's what I have mostly, 'generic' koi. ;-)
Paul

.. .

roger 19-05-2003 09:20 PM

Why such a variety in sizes at same age?

I have read and made my own observations that solid colored koi tend to grow
faster.
Than you have the ones who are more agressive at meal time...
Many factors involved.
I am sure the list can go on and on.

. com...