GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   beneficial bacteria (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/2391-beneficial-bacteria.html)

Loren Wickline 02-03-2003 07:31 PM

beneficial bacteria

the "beneficial bacteria" that comes in powder form or in the pouch that
goes in artificial flower dispenser. I used it with much success at
controlling algae last summer. My question is: does the water have to be
warmer for it to work or can I add it now and try to avoid a spring algae
bloom?

Jerrispond 02-03-2003 08:04 PM

beneficial bacteria

the "beneficial bacteria" that comes in powder form or in the pouch that
goes in artificial flower dispenser. I used it with much success

atcontrolling algae last summer. My question is: does the water have to
bewarmer for it to work or can I add it now and try to avoid a spring
algaebloom?

I have never heard of a bacteria that was an algecide..... I would like to hear
more about it. It has been my experience that the bacteria only work on the
mulm, and other "dead" organics, not live algea.....what type algea did it
control? Jerri

Loren Wickline 02-03-2003 09:15 PM

beneficial bacteria

I wouldn't call it an "algaecide"......the colonies of "good bacteria"
compete with the algae for nutrients and in effect "starve" the algae. I
suppose it works the same way as plants competing for nutrients that then
starves the algae.