Old 19-05-2003, 04:32 PM
ann in houston

Default floating pond cover?

Did y'all miss me??? I'm back too, this season, along with several
other "old-timers" that I've seen post about returning after an
absence. And, of course, I have a question. DH wants to float a
screen-like cover on the pond surface to shade it and keep the algae
down. I am uncomfortable about what that will do to the O2 exchange,
even if the material is porous. This seems like it would be
especially bad once our summer heat really kicks in. Or, would the
lack of sunlight compensate and keep the water cool enough to help the
water retain its oxygen? A cover of some kind does seem to be in
order, but we are dithering (and bickering)over the design.
TIA,
Ann
Old 20-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Just Me \Koi\

Ann, I had the same concern and problem as you. Instead of taking chances,
I simply compromised by lifting the cover a little bit higher. Floating was
not a choice for me though since I have plants in my pond, and I am
convinced that the impact in terms of air exchange, and a fish possibly
getting on top of the cover and getting trapped or dying.

I used a shade cloth from home depot, add eyelets at the corner and hung it
from 4 galvanized pipe posts that I had driven into the ground Works great,
looks great. And can be rolled up when I have company to fully expose the
pond in it's complete beauty.

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

om...

Old 20-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Gail Futoran

"ann in houston" wrote in message
om...
(ann in houston) wrote in message

. com...
[...]

just answering my own post to keep it high on the list

long enough for
someone with an answer to see it.

We've erected frames made out of trellis
material or 2x4's and stapled or wired shade
cloth (Home Depot or Lowes garden area)
over/around (depending on where the pond is)
to shade from about noon on.

Some part of both ponds (small, 110 gallons
& about 200 gallons) remains in sun all day but
-plants grow great
-water is clear, thanks to submerged plants
and (most likely) minnow fry & snails eating
algae
-pond waters don't overheat/evaporate too
fast

The shade is high in both cases, about 6' at the
highest point, so there's absolutely no concern
about oxygen exchange (except maybe due to
overly healthy anacharis).

HTH

Gail
San Antonio TX

Old 20-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Just Me \"Koi\" wrote:

I used a shade cloth from home depot, add eyelets at the corner and hung it
from 4 galvanized pipe posts that I had driven into the ground Works great,
looks great. And can be rolled up when I have company to fully expose the
pond in it's complete beauty.

--

Picture please, I'm curious.

Old 21-05-2003, 01:44 AM
ann in houston

Hi Bonnie,
I don't know what he was going to use. Some kind of styrofoam
floats on a pvc frame. He didn't want the screen to show, because I
complained about it uglying up the view of the pond from the street.
I actually don't want the cover down, covering up the view of the
fish. I want him to build an attractive, tall awning that looks like
it belongs there. He's worried about the cost of that. Maybe if I can
get enough anacharis that the fish won't decimate it, it would help.

Hi Ann,
I can't answer your question - just wanted to say "Hi". One
point though, what is going to keep the screen floating. I
have screen in the veggie filter as a mechanical filter and
it always sinks.

Old 21-05-2003, 09:20 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Hi Bonnie,
Your wish is my command. The picture is online in my webshots albums, but
it is in the "Pets & Pond Critters" album, towards the end of that album.
What do you think? The pipe needs to be thicker than I used, but then I
also did not want to have to pour concrete, dig holes, or have a bulky pipe
to obstruct my view.

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote in message
Picture please, I'm curious.

Old 21-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Just Me \"Koi\" wrote:
Hi Bonnie,
Your wish is my command. The picture is online in my webshots albums, but
it is in the "Pets & Pond Critters" album, towards the end of that album.
What do you think? The pipe needs to be thicker than I used, but then I
also did not want to have to pour concrete, dig holes, or have a bulky pipe
to obstruct my view.

--

Thanks for posting the photos - and quickly too! I'm
impressed. Not sure if it would work for me, but I

Old 21-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Just Me \Koi\

Bonnie, Thanks for your comments. I forgot to tell you that the design
allows me to raise and lower the cover as I wish, and also to slide it
forward or backward as I see fit with the sun angle.

--
_______________________________________

Old 22-05-2003, 09:21 AM

yes. pond cover will cut down on overheating and will keep the water cooler and it
will hold oxygen better. but you do need some good aeration too. Ingrid
Old 22-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Just Me \Koi\

Temperature in Rancho Cucamonga yesterday? 101 degrees! Thank God for my
shade system. And my waterfalls! And my spitting Turtles!, etc.

Plenty of shade, aeration, and of course evaporation! My Koi are growing at
near alarming rate, and are also becoming more friendly.

A thousand fries in March, only a handful left now!

--
_______________________________________

Old 25-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Rhino

On 20 May 2003 16:40:47 -0700, (ann in houston) wrote:

Hi Bonnie,
I don't know what he was going to use. Some kind of styrofoam
floats on a pvc frame. He didn't want the screen to show, because I
complained about it uglying up the view of the pond from the street.
I actually don't want the cover down, covering up the view of the
fish. I want him to build an attractive, tall awning that looks like
it belongs there. He's worried about the cost of that. Maybe if I can
get enough anacharis that the fish won't decimate it, it would help.

Hi Ann,
I can't answer your question - just wanted to say "Hi". One
point though, what is going to keep the screen floating. I
have screen in the veggie filter as a mechanical filter and
it always sinks.

In the past I have used those sheets of green 8 X 11 "Craft Foam" from a local
craft store. The sheets are about .79 each and I make about a 4' X 4' cover by
stapling them together at the corners in a checkerboard pattern so only the
corners touch and it leaves 1/2 the total area as open water. The X's are the
foam and the O's are open. It doesn't look too bad and with liberal doses of
BZT I only get a slight case of green water for about 1-2 weeks.

XOXOXOX
OXOXOXO
XOXOXOX
OXOXOXO
XOXOXOX

The foam comes in several colors of green and since it floats like a lily pad I
figure it doesn't mess with the O2 exchange much.

I also have purchased a 15' x15' x 15' triangle shade screen that will be
attached to the eave of my house at two points with adjustable cables and to a
single steel pole on the other side of the pond. the attachment points will be
about 20' x 20' x20' and I will be able to slide and adjust the cloth to cover
where it is needed. To avoid having a pole in the middle of nowhere, I will
concrete in a PVC pipe just below the grass surface that the steel pole will fit
in like a socket. At the end of the season, pull the pole and store it.

See my pond
www.htcomp.net/rhino_4_good/index.htm

"Without the second ammendment, the others are just suggestions."