Old 22-05-2003, 08:44 AM

Default heat stroke and heat exhaustion

Just a little reminder to watch out for these. Also, keep an eye on
friends, family and neighbors as those suffering are not really able to
determine they have a problem. It causes brain fog. Found this on the net
(http://www.assumption.edu/HTML/Admin...vices/HEA.HTML). And dont go
out ponding in the heat of the day. Be sure to have Gatorade or other
isotonic solutions in the house to drink.

HEAT STROKE AND HEAT EXHAUSTION

Heat stroke is always life-threatening. Heat exhaustion is a milder
condition than heat stroke. Both conditions occur most often on hot days
during physical activity. Anyone can have either condition, and either
condition can happen to older people even during such mild activity as
taking a walk.
In heat stroke, the person's temperature control system that causes
sweating stops working correctly. The body temperature rises so high that
brain damage and death will result if the person is not cooled quickly. The
main signs of heat stroke are red or flushed skin; hot, dry skin, although
the person may have been sweating earlier, and extremely high body
temperature, often to 41 degrees C (106 degrees F.) There may be dizziness,
nausea, headache, rapid pulse, and unconsciousness.
Heat exhaustion is much less dangerous than heat stroke. The major signs of
heat exhaustion are pale, clammy skin, profuse perspiration, and extreme
tiredness or weakness. The body temperature is approximately normal. The
person may have a headache and may vomit.
Here are the most important differences between the signs of heat stroke
and heat exhaustion.

* HEAT STROKE: skin hot and dry, and very high body temperature.
* HEAT EXHAUSTION: skin cool and wet from sweating, and normal body
temperature

Cool a person of heat stroke quickly. If the body temperature is not
brought down fast, permanent brain damage or death will result. Soak the
person in cool but not cold water, sponge the body with rubbing alcohol or
cool water, or pour water on the body to reduce the temperature to a safe
level - about 39 degrees C (102 degrees F). Then stop cooling and observe
the person for 10 minutes. If the temperature starts to rise again, cool
the person again. Do not give coffee, tea or alcoholic beverages. When the
person's temperature remains at a safe level, put the person to bed and get
medical help.
For mild heat exhaustion, provide bed rest. Give a salt solution (1/2 tsp
salt - about 2 "pinches" - in a glass of water) every 15 minutes for 3 or 4
doses. Medical care is needed for severe heat exhaustion.
It may be hard to remember the names of the two conditions, but it should
be easy to remember this: A person who is very hot and not sweating (HEAT
STROKE) must be cooled off quickly, but a person who is sweating, has a
normal temperature, and is tired (HEAT EXHAUSTION) needs rest but does not
need to be cooled off so vigorously
Old 22-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Sue Alexandre

Thank you for that great info! I know I've always HEARD the terms heat
exhaustion and heat stroke, but never figured it could happen to me. After
all, I see construction workers laboring for 10 hours a day in the extreme
heat, and I'm sure I didn't work harder than them. But you're right about
the brain fog - that was DEFINITELY present, and blurred my otherwise
normally "common sense" feature. I just kept thinking I would do ONE more
thing, THEN I would go cool down.
Sue

Old 22-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Go Fig

HEAT, in the U.S. kills more than any other natural disaster.

jay
Thu, May 22, 2003

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."
Old 23-05-2003, 04:32 AM
jammer

On Thu, 22 May 2003 11:32:17 GMT, "Sue Alexandre"
wrote:

the brain fog - that was DEFINITELY present, and blurred my otherwise
normally "common sense" feature. I just kept thinking I would do ONE more
thing, THEN I would go cool down.
Sue

That is what happened to me. I wturned into the little engine that
could until i realized i couldn't! I drove home half conscious and
phoned my son to tell him where to set a bowl of ice and water for me.
I barely made it to the couch. Now I see i should have drank salted
water. I DIDNT KNOW THAT. It took 3 days to be back to my ol' self.
Old 23-05-2003, 04:56 AM
FIRE224U

Both are true emergencies and EMS should be called.

Scott in Louisiana
Firefighter/EMT

Old 23-05-2003, 05:20 AM

if there is a responsible person then cool showers, taking temperature and drinking
isotonic fluids can bring most people around. it is when the temp keeps rising that
the heat stroke gets deadly. Ingrid

Old 23-05-2003, 05:56 AM
Sue Alexandre

Even heat exhaustion is considered an emergency? I thought, from reading
some websites, that heat cramps and heat exhaustion were manageable, but
that the heat stroke should be tended to by medical professionals.
Luckily I think I'm OK..... still a little more tired than usual today, but
took a nap after work and I seem to be fine. I'm continuing to hydrate with
lots of water though, at least for another day or two. Heck, with this
non-stop rain, that shouldn't be hard to do!
Thanks.
Sue

Old 23-05-2003, 03:32 PM

in a child or elderly, those with chronic illnesses (or somebody taking anti
psychotic meds) or mental confusion, heat stroke can be life threatening and calls
for a visit to an emergency room.
The problem is the mental confusion. My friend Jo Ann was rather incoherent and when
I asked her what her temp was and had she been drinking gatorade... she wasnt
responding and told me she was going to bed. With heat stroke you go to bed and the
temp keeps rising and then you slip into a coma. Her husband was already asleep and
(sorry men) not terribly "responsive" in general. I called her daughter who was
there in 10 minutes, got her mom up and into the shower and started taking her
temperature every 15 minutes or so, kept her drinking the gatorade and kept her awake
until her temp came back down. Then stayed overnight checking her mothers temp every
hour to make sure she was fine. Unless there is a responsible other person who will
monitor the situation, it really is better to go to an emergency room.
A warning. having had heat stroke seems to either cause or predict a
predisposition. Jo Ann now takes her temp when she is feeling a little weak after
being out in the heat and she drinks electrolytes. She now uses Propel cause there
isnt the sugar like in Gatorade. She basically tries to stay out of the heat as much
as possible, or limits her time outdoors when heat is intense. Ingrid

Old 24-05-2003, 05:08 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I have heard that people who have suffer HS once, seem to be more sensitive
to the heat after that. Kind of like over working a thermostat, it becomes
faulty afterwards. ~ jan

"FIRE224U" wrote in message
Both are true emergencies and EMS should be called.

Scott in Louisiana
Firefighter/EMT

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 24-05-2003, 02:08 PM
mad

i know i am. had heat exhaustion once from hiking with insufficient water in
big bend national park one april.
mad
--
Two fish are in a tank. One says to the other,
"I'll man the guns, you drive".

From: ~ jan JJsPond.us
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 21:03:18 -0700
Subject: heat stroke and heat exhaustion

Old 24-05-2003, 04:09 PM
Nedra

I am too .. when I was 17 years old I went to the Indy 500... no
shade for 2 days. Boy was I ever sick when I got back home.
This was in 1948 .... still suffer terribly with the heat.

Nedra

Old 24-05-2003, 04:21 PM
Sue Alexandre

Well if that's true, then someone in my house better get EMS training real
quick, because there is no way I'm going to give up putzing by my pond every
possible minute I can! So I guess the question is, what is NOT allowable
out there? Is it the TIME you are exposed to the heat and sun, or the
amount of physical activity/cardio you are doing in the heat? And if I stop
every 30 minutes to sit in shade and drink, does that counter any ill
affects from the previous 30 minutes? I guess what I'm asking is, can I
stay out there all day as long as I bring the temp down when it starts to
rise? Problem with that is, I'm not sure I realize it until it's too late.
Oh heck, I shouldn't worry - it's not often that I have an entire day to do
nothing but work by my pond, and even MORE rare that we have a full day of
sun here anymore!
Sue

Old 24-05-2003, 06:09 PM

dont know if there is cause and effect, whether peoples heat indicator goes off, or
electrolyte balance goes off or what. but one a person has heat stroke it is more
likely they will get it again if they dont avoid overheating. Ingrid

Old 24-05-2003, 06:09 PM

work early in AM and later in the day when it is cooler.
dont work in bright sunlight when temp is over 80.
work in the shade.
wear a hat. put a wet washcloth on your head under the hat or, wet your hair.
put a wet washcloth around your neck to cool the blood going to the brain.
yes, drink gatorade or propel while working.
have somebody responsible at home who will call you in and take your temp every hour
or so. if your temp rises, into the shower immediately (not cold water, cool water).
and then they need to make sure your temp is back down and you have sucked down
enough gatorade. what you want them to understand is not let you fall asleep if your
temp is up, and if it stays up after shower and drink, then off to the emergency
ward. Ingrid

Old 25-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Tom La Bron

Sue,

Work before 1000am and after 1400 in the afternoon, between the 1000 and
1400 the light intensity from the sun is the most intense and most
consistent.

Tom L.L.
news