Old 22-05-2003, 04:32 PM
John Hines

Default How to make water flow uphill.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3046791.stm

From the article:
It certainly beats your common or garden water feature.

Inventor James Dyson, he of the bagless vacuum cleaner,
has stolen the headlines from the gardeners at this year's
Chelsea Flower Show with his "Wrong Garden".

A set of four glass ramps positioned in a square clearly
show water travelling up each of them before it pours off
the top, only to start again at the bottom of the next ramp.

I figured you fellow ponders would get a kick out of this one.

Way too cool for words.
Old 22-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

John Hines wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3046791.stm

From the article:

It certainly beats your common or garden water feature.

Inventor James Dyson, he of the bagless vacuum cleaner,
has stolen the headlines from the gardeners at this year's
Chelsea Flower Show with his "Wrong Garden".

A set of four glass ramps positioned in a square clearly
show water travelling up each of them before it pours off
the top, only to start again at the bottom of the next ramp.

I figured you fellow ponders would get a kick out of this one.

Way too cool for words.

I wonder how long it will take for it to appear on this side
of the big pond.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 22-05-2003, 05:32 PM
K30a

Very kewl!
Let's make him an honorary PORG.

k30a
Old 22-05-2003, 06:08 PM
John Hines

Bonnie Espenshade wrote:

I wonder how long it will take for it to appear on this side
of the big pond.

I could see a modified version, with one ramp, driving the water fall
into the pond. At the low feed end, setup a small waterwheel that
appears to push the water uphill.

Other people has suggested a desk top fountain.

Old 22-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Theo van Daele

Great link John, tnx for that :-)

Beats designing vacuum cleaners I guess ;-)

Old 24-05-2003, 04:56 PM
ann in houston

Bonnie Espenshade wrote in message ...
John Hines wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3046791.stm

From the article:

It certainly beats your common or garden water feature.

Inventor James Dyson, he of the bagless vacuum cleaner,
has stolen the headlines from the gardeners at this year's
Chelsea Flower Show with his "Wrong Garden".

A set of four glass ramps positioned in a square clearly
show water travelling up each of them before it pours off
the top, only to start again at the bottom of the next ramp.

I figured you fellow ponders would get a kick out of this one.

Way too cool for words.

I wonder how long it will take for it to appear on this side
of the big pond.

I remember an attraction at Six Flags Over Texas when I was a kid in
Dallas, called the "Whacky Shack". The whole thing, I mean everything
in it defied gravity. On the walkway outside where you stood in line,
there was a water feature that ran in troughs made of half pipe that
appeared to run uphill. It was very much like the pics in that link,
only much more rustic looking. I think it did actually incorporate
some "water wheels" that appeared to push the water up the troughs.
Astroworld had one too, for a while. I imagine most of the Six Flags
parks across the country had them.
Ann

Will I regret an uphill drain pipe? Chris Ponds 8 14-04-2005 06:51 AM
Hauling Uphill Greg Gardening 20 17-09-2003 01:22 PM
How does water flow? BenignVanilla Ponds 10 07-08-2003 02:09 AM
Water flow within filters? David Larson Ponds 8 31-05-2003 03:08 AM
uphill waterfall [email protected] Ponds 2 24-05-2003 01:20 PM