Old 25-05-2003, 09:20 PM
jammer

Default Yellow lily pads

My water lily went from 5 to 14 leaves in no time. Then a baby pad was
yellow so i picked it off. Now 2 more are yellow. Everything else is
fine and thriving. What do i do!!??
Old 25-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Gail Futoran

"jammer" j@mmer wrote in message
My water lily went from 5 to 14 leaves in no time. Then a

baby pad was
yellow so i picked it off. Now 2 more are yellow.

Everything else is
fine and thriving. What do i do!!??

They get that way at the end of their lifespan.
If the other leaves look healthy, there shouldn't
be any problem, just pinch off the yellow
leaf. Eventually the stem will turn brown &
yucky. I usually follow that down to the pot
and pull it out, too. It comes out very easily
once it has reached the yucky stage.

Lately I've been pinching off healthy leaves
since too much of the water surface was
being covered. The plant doesn't seem to care.

Gail
San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 25-05-2003, 10:56 PM
jammer

Ok, i'll pinch them, but the leaves aren't that old. .....

On Sun, 25 May 2003 21:38:22 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

.. .

Old 26-05-2003, 06:20 AM
GD

Yellowing leaves (entire leaf) indicate nitrogen deficiency when it
occurs in new leaves. Streaked or mottled yellowing (in between
veins) indicates iron and/or manganese deficiencies. Add nitrogen to
the substrate (try to avoid using products with phosphorus) for the
former, lower pH for the latter.

Old 26-05-2003, 08:56 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Isn't nitrogen, nitrate, and nitrite the things we spend so much money and
effort in trying to remove from the water?

I am soooooooo confused!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 27-05-2003, 03:56 AM
GD

Nitrogen in the water can be bad. Nitrogen in the potting substrate
can be good. Balancing the two is the trick. You might try
removing nitrogen-hungry potted plants (yellow leaves) from the pond,
inserting fertilizer tabs into the substrates, place in a bucket and
flush several times (fill the bucket, let it set for an hour or so,
empty the bucket, refill, etc.) , then return to the pond. This will
put nitrogen where needed and reduce overloading the pond. When
fertilized in-pond, much of the fertilizer winds up where it is
unwanted: in the water itself.

Old 27-05-2003, 04:09 AM
GD

Potassium deficiency in plants is less common than nitrogen
deficiency. Symptoms may include yellowing of leaf margins (edges
only), but in general margin browning and stunted growth are more
typical.

An interesting aside: because of plant metabolic chemistry, high
levels of potassium can cause deficiencies in calcium and magnesium,
even when those elements are in "normal" quantities. It is all about
ratios. Adding potash to the water may cause as many problems as it
cures.

"Lisa Tetzlaff" wrote:

I thought it was potash (muriate of potassium) that the pond plants needed.
. ..

Lily Pads taking over hammr Ponds 4 26-07-2004 03:02 PM
Lily Pads taking over hammr Ponds 4 21-07-2004 09:02 AM
Small Lily Pads JJ Ponds 4 05-06-2004 11:18 PM
Lily pads Bonnie Ponds 2 16-03-2004 04:29 AM
Lily Pads too tall? Sue Alexandre Ponds 2 15-06-2003 03:08 PM