Old 26-05-2003, 05:21 AM
JJ

Default Barley Extract

I contacted my local pond store this week to purchase a "Barley Bag" to help
control string algae.
I was told that he stopped selling "Barley Bags" and instead he is
recommending a Natural Barley Extract in liquid form. It is manufactured by
Savio Engineering Inc.
It says in the bottle that it is harmless for all plants and fish & contains
no herbicides or synthetic chemicals. The ingredients listed are natural
extract of barley straw, period.
Has anyone had any experience with using this produce to control string
algae and if so what are your thoughts?

Jerry

Old 29-05-2003, 07:34 PM
Hank Pagel

It does not sound right to me. The barley straw itself does not kill the
algae. It is the hydrogen peroxide that is created when the straw decays.
Unless this extract contains the peroxide I don't see it working. I put a
bale in my water fall and now I have barley growing from the bale. It looks
pretty good actually. good luck h