Old 29-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Don

Default Heron alert!

Sallie the bulldog he

We had ducks, we had toads, now we have a heron! We are used to seeing
blackhawks and F-16s fly over because we are so close to DC. But never have
we seen a huge heron.

My human was not letting me out to guard the pond because I like rolling in
the mud. What's his problem? Mud is deliciously cool and tasty...but I
digress.

The heron scared the fish worse than I do. I don't know if any are missing
but the pond is 3' deep and steep. Even I am afraid to go in it. Haven't
seen the heron since it visited on Memorial Day. (Spooky, see other posts).

Now my human finally will let me do my job and protect my backyard against
mowing neighbors, floating balloons and that heinous heron!

Old 29-05-2003, 06:32 PM
K30a

Sallie wrote We had ducks, we had toads, now we have a heron! We are used to
seeing
blackhawks and F-16s fly over because we are so close to DC. But never have
we seen a huge heron.

Hmmmm, are you sure it isn't some new generation of jet? Fueled by goldfish and
koi? We are under an orange alert... Rosie and Heidi's uncle, the Major, might
know. We'll question his labrador, Clancy, and see what we can find out!

k30a
Old 29-05-2003, 06:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"Don" wrote in message
[...]

A bit off topic Sallie, but...where are you near DC? My human and I live in
Ellicott City.

Nilla
1st Battalion Water Guardswomen

Old 30-05-2003, 04:44 AM
zookeeper

Don wrote:
Sallie the bulldog he

We had ducks, we had toads, now we have a heron! ...

My human was not letting me out to guard the pond because I like rolling in
the mud. What's his problem? Mud is deliciously cool and tasty...but I
digress.

The heron scared the fish worse than I do. I don't know if any are missing
but the pond is 3' deep and steep ...

Now my human finally will let me do my job and protect my backyard against
mowing neighbors, floating balloons and that heinous heron!

Masud here, reporting for Nila and our sun-worshiping brigade in Oregon:
We saw a "huge" heron in early spring; it was checking out OUR pond from
the neighbor's house and greenhouse roofs. Mom made lots of noise with a
cooking pan and lid, and we barked until we scared that bird away. It
didn't come back -- too bad, we wanted to catch it and play. Mom is
keeping the fall leaf catching net over the deep section of the pond to
give OUR koi a secure place to hide. We told her it was a good idea.

Nila has been busy sun-bathing and catching flies and bees still. Mom
just shakes her head, except when Nila breaks off rhododendron blossoms.
Baaaaadddd Nila snicker.

And what's wrong with rolling in the mud? We like to eat mud from time
to time -- good for our digestion, we've heard.

Keep an eye out for those large birds.
--
zookeeper's canine crew
Masud and Nila, pharaoh hounds

Old 30-05-2003, 05:08 AM
K30a

Masud and Nila wrote And what's wrong with rolling in the mud?

We think mud is a poor substitute for
tromping through the frog bog. Being a
bog the mud at the bottom really stinks.
Paws full of frog bog mud make nice patterns
on the carpet (preferably just vacuumed with people expected any minute).

Rosie - the black lab, eldest and smartest
Heidi - yellow half sister, owner of five brain cells.

Old 30-05-2003, 06:08 AM
zookeeper

K30a wrote:
Masud and Nila wrote And what's wrong with rolling in the mud?

We think mud is a poor substitute for
tromping through the frog bog. Being a
bog the mud at the bottom really stinks.
Paws full of frog bog mud make nice patterns
on the carpet (preferably just vacuumed with people expected any minute).

Rosie - the black lab, eldest and smartest
Heidi - yellow half sister, owner of five brain cells.

Yeah, and explain to those silly humans that it's perfectly okay to
drink water from the upper pond that is currently not in use because of
a leak in the waterfall, and that just because that water is only as
fresh as our most recent rainfall, and it doesn't matter if the birds
bathe in it either!!!

What do they know about those wonderful aromas -- can't imagine what
they think "stinky" really means!!

Old 30-05-2003, 05:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"zookeeper" wrote in message
snip
Masud here, reporting for Nila and our sun-worshiping brigade in Oregon:

snip

Am I to understand that we have TWO porgs both with a dog named Nila?

BV.

Old 30-05-2003, 08:08 PM
zookeeper

BenignVanilla wrote:
"zookeeper" wrote in message
Masud here, reporting for Nila and our sun-worshiping brigade in Oregon:

Am I to understand that we have TWO porgs both with a dog named Nila?

BV.

Nila (N - long I - LAH) in Oregon, pharaoh hound and sun-worshipper
extraordinaire, owned by zookeeper.

What is your Nila -- or is it Nilla?

Old 30-05-2003, 09:33 PM
BenignVanilla

"zookeeper" wrote in message
BenignVanilla wrote:
"zookeeper" wrote in message
Masud here, reporting for Nila and our sun-worshiping brigade in Oregon:

Am I to understand that we have TWO porgs both with a dog named Nila?

BV.

Nila (N - long I - LAH) in Oregon, pharaoh hound and sun-worshipper
extraordinaire, owned by zookeeper.

What is your Nila -- or is it Nilla?

I guess mine is actually nilla as in Va-nilla.

BV.