Old 31-05-2003, 04:44 PM
David Hahn

Default Green sludge

My wife and I are new to this pond thing. We just put in a 2000 gl pond,
everything is great. Water is clear, we have a skimmer to get all the junk
on top of the water and a bottom drain to get the junk on the bottom. We
have 2 spillways that return the water back to the bond, 2 lilies and a
bunch of marginal plants. In the morning everything looks great but as the
day goes on clumps of green algae float to the surface. These things look
like green globs. The skimmer get them no problem but it takes away from the
looks of the water.
What is this stuff, and how do we control/get rid of it?
(We also have goldfish in the pond)

Old 31-05-2003, 04:56 PM
K30a

David wrote What is this stuff, and how do we control/get rid of it?

It is one of the many forms of algae.
Here are the algae tips, hope it helps.

This is a collection of tips offered by readers of rec.ponds
To achieve clear water, instead of pea soup green water, in your pond you
should:

~ Realize that algae is tough! It exists in extreme conditions, like ice, just
fine. It has many, many different
forms. It even has a home page! http://www.nmnh.si.edu/botany/projects/algae/
And, finally, without algae we wouldn't
be here so we should treat it with a little respect ;-)

~ Learn as much as you can about the natural balance of a pond and realizing
that new ponds must go through
a growth period which usually means green water before balance occurs.

~ Mother Nature designs pond to have few fish, many plants and subtraction and
addition of new water from time to time.
She lets the fish find food on their own, lets the fish fertilize the plants,
encourages predators and lets the plants run rampant.
She never cleans her ponds out unless she sends a flood. If things really get
out of control she throws up her hands and lets the chips fall where they may -
lets the pond fill in, turn emerald green, flood it out, earthquakes,
hurricanes, record snowfall, elections too close to call - whatever...

~We pondkeepers stuff in lots of pretty fish, spoil them rotten with tasty fish
chow, over fertilize our plants and do everything possible to discourage
predators.

~Plan on 20 gallons of water per goldfish and 100 gallons of water per koi and
as many plants as you can stuff in.

~ Do not use chemicals, killing algae just makes lots of suddenly dead algae,
rotting algae robs the pond of oxygen and makes more stuff for the new algae to
feed on (unless you have a bottom drain to get it out).

~ Do not worry about green fuzzy algae on the side of the pond, that is good
algae and helps balance your pond.

~ Ignore a little string algae.

~ Install bottom drains and skimmers for ease of removing sludge and debris.

~ Net the pond during the fall to keep leaves out of the pond.

~ Trim dead growth from the plants and removing floating tropicals if you live
in colder climates.

~ Lower your fish stocking, not over feeding fish - algae loves fish waste
(lots of yummy phosphorous)

~ Add lots plants of any type, marginal plants such as reeds, cattails, iris,
pickerel weed, arrowhead, floaters such as water hyacinth, water lettuce and
lots of underwater plants such as anacharis uses the nutrients up that the
algae would like.

~ Shade - lilies, the floaters (water hyacinth and water lettuce) and
artificial shade - shade cloth, umbrella, arch or trellis planted with vines,
No sun for the algae.

~ Clean up debris from the bottom of the pond and
stock snails to chew up the debris - less decaying stuff for algae food.

~ Cut back or stop fertilizing plants - same principle.

~ Plant in fine gravel and top with larger rocks if you have koi.

~ Mechanical filtration of the fish waste - usually a settling chamber in your
filter, or the first row of brushs, filter media.

~ Biological filtration - more than you think you need as your fish are going
to grow and you will probably add more fish to your pond via purchase or your
fish breeding in the pond. (This does not help with the algae problem but
contributes to the overall health of your fish and any critters.

~ Construct a veggie filter - an area, 10% to 20%, of the size of your pond
surface area. A couple of inches deeper than the plant baskets (the rigid black
mesh baskets made specifically for water plants) you are going to use to plant
in. Plant the baskets with marginal plants with fine gravel. Pump the pond
water through at a turnover rate per hour 1/2 to 1/4 of the pond volume. Veggie
filter uses up many of the nutrients and provides a good place for bacteria to
grow. Build it with a bottom drain (or two) for ease of cleaning - very
important or you'll end up with backups and leaking over the edge. Go here to
read a great description about how to build one
http://hometown.aol.com/k30a/myhomepage/garden.html
or
A veggie filter can be as simple as floating water hyacinth at the top of your
stock tank filter. Mine get to be almost three feet tall with leaves as big as
my hand.

~ Purchase sludge eating product - concentrated bacteria culture.

~ Some folks love their UV sterilizer. Does cost some $. And you have to change
the bulb every year.

~ Add a bale of barley straw to your pond for string algae. Read this webpage
http://hometown.aol.com/rosiedawg/my...ollection.html

~Phosphate Remover - It comes in a large clear container (maybe about gallon
sized) but it's also available in a smaller quart sized carton. It's usually
near the aquatic plant fertilizers and different chemicals available such as
ammonia remover and such.
You measure out the amount suitable for your pond size, place it in a mesh
bag, and first soak it in a pail before you put it in your filter. You need to
soak it because it gives off heat when it first gets wet.

~ Read this web page for interesting theroy on the life and times of algae
http://www.koiclubsandiego.org/GRENH2O.html

~ Make sacrifices to the Pond Goddess.
Run to your nearest garden center and buy a gazing ball,
a dragonfly garden stake and bullfrog spitter.
Place around your pond and ask humbly for clear water.

~ Patience, patience and eternal optimism.

k30a
Old 31-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Sue Alexandre

I find that whenever I add "Hardness Plus" to my pond, I get tons of those
green slimy clumps of goo that come up to the top. Fortunately I have a
skimmer and it gets most of them, but I figure something in the water
hardener is causing the single celled algae to clump together and rise? I
guess this is probably a GOOD thing, right?
Sue

Old 31-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Just Me \Koi\

Fill the pond in? :-) Invite your friends over in the morning when the
algae is not up and the pond looks good?:-)

Seriously, we all just live with the different algae forms. Get a net and
clean it out if you need the pond to be clean at an immediate level.
Otherwise it will take care of itself. The algae is in response to a pond
condition. If you fix that condition then you will make your pond right for
the next type of algae! Algae resistance is futile IMHO!

Do you have a link to the pictures of your pond? Enquiry minds want to
know!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"David Hahn" wrote in message
My wife and I are new to this pond thing. We just put in a 2000 gl pond,
everything is great. Water is clear, we have a skimmer to get all the junk
on top of the water and a bottom drain to get the junk on the bottom. We
have 2 spillways that return the water back to the bond, 2 lilies and a
bunch of marginal plants. In the morning everything looks great but as the
day goes on clumps of green algae float to the surface. These things look
like green globs. The skimmer get them no problem but it takes away from

the
looks of the water.
What is this stuff, and how do we control/get rid of it?
(We also have goldfish in the pond)

Green sludge KerplunKuK Ponds (alternative) 4 19-09-2005 05:24 AM
Green sludge KerplunKuK Ponds 5 02-09-2005 04:02 AM
Instead of a Shop Vac for bottom sludge removal - Mike Patterson Ponds 8 18-03-2004 09:34 AM
added sludge digester,, now cloudy *muffin* Ponds 2 04-08-2003 04:43 AM
vacuum cleaner for water (like sludge )reservoir Neonel Ponds 3 07-05-2003 05:20 AM