Old 31-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Folklore

Default Lead weights in pond OK ??

In Fleet Farm this morning I saw a resin sculpture that is a boat with
a couple of frogs in it (one reading, one napping). It comes with a
lead weight on a length of fishing line to anchor in place. Lead
weights are bad for fishing because fish eat the weights that fall off
and get killed. This weight is large enough that no fish could eat
it, but I'm not sure if just having it in the water would be toxic?
Would the fishing line pose a problem?

Thanks,

Folk...

Old 01-06-2003, 01:56 AM
RichToyBox

Lead is barely soluble and for the small size of a weight it is probably not
going to be a problem. You could use a brick for the anchor just as easily.
I would keep the fishing line nearly taut. I used nylon twine to hold a
hula hoop near the edge of the pond for the hyacinths, and one of my fish
sucked on the twine, drawing it through the gill area and hooking it around
a fin. It took a few minutes for me to figure out what happened and how to
get the koi loose.
--
RichToyBox

Old 01-06-2003, 04:44 AM
bern

Folklore wrote in message . ..
In Fleet Farm this morning I saw a resin sculpture that is a boat with
a couple of frogs in it (one reading, one napping). It comes with a
lead weight on a length of fishing line to anchor in place. Lead
weights are bad for fishing because fish eat the weights that fall off
and get killed. This weight is large enough that no fish could eat
it, but I'm not sure if just having it in the water would be toxic?
Would the fishing line pose a problem?

Thanks,

Folk...

I would be reluctant to have a bare lead weight in the pond. It will
probably not poison the fish, but why take a chance. You could wrap
the lead weight in a couple of layers of polyethylene garbage bag and
be quite safe.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:32 AM
Just Me \Koi\

OR just tie the darn thing to a rock?

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"bern" wrote in message
om...

. ..

Old 01-06-2003, 04:56 PM
John Hines

Folklore wrote:

In Fleet Farm this morning I saw a resin sculpture that is a boat with
a couple of frogs in it (one reading, one napping). It comes with a
lead weight on a length of fishing line to anchor in place. Lead
weights are bad for fishing because fish eat the weights that fall off
and get killed. This weight is large enough that no fish could eat
it, but I'm not sure if just having it in the water would be toxic?

You could dip it or coat the lead with a finish, which would be
non-toxic, once dry.

Old 10-06-2003, 03:20 AM
Folklore

Thanks All!