GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Muriate of Potash (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/30142-muriate-potash.html)

Joan Pomatto 02-06-2003 02:44 AM

Muriate of Potash

Where do I buy muriate of potash? Does it have another name, or what do I
ask for?

Thanks
ALSO----how much do I use when I find it?

keith nuttle 02-06-2003 03:32 AM

Muriate of Potash

http://www.imcglobal.com/products/po...s/0900MOP1.pdf

Potassium chloride I believe is use in place of Sodium Chloride in some
water softener situations.

So you should be able to find it a any large chain store that carries
water softener supplies. Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, KMart, etc.

GrampysGurl 02-06-2003 03:32 AM

Muriate of Potash

Where do I buy muriate of potash? Does it have another name, or what do I
ask for?

Thanks
ALSO----how much do I use when I find it?

Potassium, I get it at the local Agway or feed store.

Bonnie Espenshade 02-06-2003 03:45 PM

Muriate of Potash

Joan Pomatto wrote:
Where do I buy muriate of potash? Does it have another name, or what do I
ask for?

Thanks
ALSO----how much do I use when I find it?

I get mine at Agway, a farm store.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Andrew Burgess 02-06-2003 08:08 PM

Muriate of Potash

Joan Pomatto wrote:
Where do I buy muriate of potash? Does it have another name, or what do I
ask for?

Water softener companies carry it. $15 for 40# bag, pure white 'rocks', food safe.

Jerrispond 02-06-2003 09:13 PM

Muriate of Potash

Water softener companies carry it. $15 for 40# bag, pure white 'rocks', food
safe.

Why do water softener companies have it....and why would you need that much. I
bought less than 5 pounds last year for less than $5 and I have over 15,000
gallons....I still had some left this year Jerri

John Rutz 03-06-2003 12:56 AM

Muriate of Potash

Jerrispond wrote:
Water softener companies carry it. $15 for 40# bag, pure white 'rocks', food
safe.

Why do water softener companies have it....and why would you need that much. I
bought less than 5 pounds last year for less than $5 and I have over 15,000
gallons....I still had some left this year Jerri

last summer i bought a 40 lb bag used it all summer in pond and gardens
been using it in both places this summmer and still have half a bag left
go to a garden ceenter and get a 5 lb bag

--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Sue Alexandre 03-06-2003 02:08 AM

Muriate of Potash

And besides that..... the Muriate of Potash I bought at Agway (5 lb. box) is
not "white rocks", but more like a reddish brown. Are you sure we're
talking about the same stuff?
Sue

Fred 03-06-2003 06:20 AM

Muriate of Potash

It comes in colors ranging from white to reddish brown, per my
understanding. The only stuff I could find in my neck of the woods (north
of San Diego) was called Sul Po Mag 0-0-20, and the small pellets are
reddish brown. The magnesium and sulfur make 31% of the mixture and are
supposed to aid in greening things up. So far no problems.

One question for regular users: Do you try to crush it up to dissolve
faster, or just toss it in as pellets/rocks?

Fred

Sean Dinh 03-06-2003 07:08 AM

Muriate of Potash

I bought the 40# because I couldn't find the 5#. I still have most of it.

dhponder 03-06-2003 07:20 AM

Muriate of Potash

I dissolve it in a bucket of pond water, stir it well and pour back in
the pond at the skimmer.

deanna

Bonnie Espenshade 03-06-2003 12:44 PM

Muriate of Potash

Fred wrote:
It comes in colors ranging from white to reddish brown, per my
understanding. The only stuff I could find in my neck of the woods (north
of San Diego) was called Sul Po Mag 0-0-20, and the small pellets are
reddish brown. The magnesium and sulfur make 31% of the mixture and are
supposed to aid in greening things up. So far no problems.

One question for regular users: Do you try to crush it up to dissolve
faster, or just toss it in as pellets/rocks?

Fred

Hi Fred,

I just toss it into the veggie filter.

John Rutz 03-06-2003 03:32 PM

Muriate of Potash

Fred wrote:
It comes in colors ranging from white to reddish brown, per my
understanding. The only stuff I could find in my neck of the woods (north
of San Diego) was called Sul Po Mag 0-0-20, and the small pellets are
reddish brown. The magnesium and sulfur make 31% of the mixture and are
supposed to aid in greening things up. So far no problems.

One question for regular users: Do you try to crush it up to dissolve
faster, or just toss it in as pellets/rocks?

Fred

the water softer potash I have been using comes in about 1 in pellets I
just toss em in ( figure one pellet is roughly an ounce) they disolve in
15 min or so

Andrew Burgess 04-06-2003 01:08 AM

Muriate of Potash

(Jerrispond) writes:

Water softener companies carry it. $15 for 40# bag, pure white 'rocks', food
safe.

Why do water softener companies have it

Its a better way to soften water. Gives you water high in potassium
instead of sodium so not dangerous to hearts or blood pressure.
It's also way more expensive than sodium chloride.

.....and why would you need that much. I
bought less than 5 pounds last year for less than $5 and I have over 15,000
gallons....I still had some left this year

So this would be an 8 year supply for you at 1/3 the price.

It's an option, that's all.

Andrew Burgess 04-06-2003 01:08 AM

Muriate of Potash

"Sue Alexandre" writes:

And besides that..... the Muriate of Potash I bought at Agway (5 lb. box) is
not "white rocks", but more like a reddish brown. Are you sure we're
talking about the same stuff?

The white rocks are 100% pure, potable water safe, KCl. The reddish brown
is 'other stuff' (TM).