Old 02-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Heather

Default Bull Frogs

Please give your comments on the pros and cons of having a bullfrog in a
pond along with 2" - 4" goldfish, plants etc.

Thanks

Old 02-06-2003, 04:32 AM
K30a

Pros for bullfrogs
- frogs are in need of help. More ponders that keep them the better off they
will be. The eco-friendly thing to do.
- they are entertaining, like to sing all night long, they eat up pesky bugs,
pesky mice and scary snakes.
- for those who indulge you can eat your frogs in the form of frogs' legs,
tastes like chicken I'm told (everything tastes like chicken except for the
stuff they serve at school...)

Cons for bullfrogs
- they will eat up your goldfish, they will eat up other frogs, they will eat
up your pretty songbirds, they will eat up each other (that can be a pro or a
con), they will eat up anything they can fit in their mouths. This behavior can
be upsetting to small children.
- they sing ALL night long here in August. (SE WA state)

I had bullfrogs for a time. I liked the population control in my 3,000 gallon
pond full of canoodling koi and goldfish. They ate ALL their babies. They were
fun to watch.
I got VERY tired of their ALL night 'run-run-run' croak fests.
We tried to catch the males but we could not. Others have better luck at
catching them (our pond landscaping made it hard to catch them).

Greenfrogs are a much better pond frog. Not as aquatic as the bullfrog but not
a fish eater.

k30a
Old 02-06-2003, 04:45 PM
BenignVanilla

"K30a" wrote in message
[...]

snip

I am sending you a cleaning bill, for making me pee myself on the couch. I
don't know what it was about your answer, but I found it very entertaining.

BV.

Old 02-06-2003, 04:57 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Heather wrote:
Please give your comments on the pros and cons of having a bullfrog in a
pond along with 2" - 4" goldfish, plants etc.

Thanks

Depends on the size of your pond and the number of goldfish.
The frog will eat the goldfish, if it's large enough.
It is a great way to keep pond population under control IMO.
I have several and enjoy them.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 04-06-2003, 06:56 AM
M4RV1N

Heather
writes:

Please give your comments on the pros and cons of having a bullfrog in a
pond along with 2" - 4" goldfish, plants etc.

There are people I trust who claim that Bullfrogs can eat small fish, but I
have never seen this myself. I would think it would be incredibly difficult
because they use a sticky tougue to slap outward and latch onto prey. How this
would work with a slimy fish I do not know, but apparently it does happen.

The upside is that frogs will just collapse the local insect population. I
once saw a large Bullfrog that had been flattened by a car and about five
hundred june bugs had squished out.

A very large Bullfrog (7-8") will eat amazing things like small birds, mice, 2
foot snakes, and all other smaller frogs. They are especially nutty about
trying to eat huge things in the spring after hibernation.

Mark Ervin