Old 02-06-2003, 05:44 PM
D. S.

Default Critters in Pond

Someone on here posted a link to a site that had info about the little
critters that you find in your pond.
I can't find it!!
If I wasn't looking for it, it would be right in front of me. (All though,
it could be and I'd never see it!! LOL)

I found these little "bugs" in my filter. They are about 1/4" long and have
three little feather like things on the back where a tail fin would be.
They kinda look like shrimp!

TIA!

--
D.S.

It's always darkest before dawn, so if you're going to
steal your neighbor's fish, that's the time to do it.

Mon, Jun 2, 2003

TIA!

--
D.S.

It's always darkest before dawn, so if you're going to
steal your neighbor's fish, that's the time to do it.

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."
Old 02-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Charles

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 10:38:24 -0500, "D. S." wrote:

Someone on here posted a link to a site that had info about the little
critters that you find in your pond.
I can't find it!!
If I wasn't looking for it, it would be right in front of me. (All though,
it could be and I'd never see it!! LOL)

I found these little "bugs" in my filter. They are about 1/4" long and have
three little feather like things on the back where a tail fin would be.
They kinda look like shrimp!

TIA!

Do a search for damsel fly larva.

_

- Charles
-
-does not play well with others
Old 02-06-2003, 08:56 PM
K30a

The feathers are usually gills, how they extract oxygen from the water.
Here are a couple sites

http://www.bio.umass.edu/biology/con...s-general.html

http://www.mp.usbr.gov/geospat/olymp...e/macroid.html

Let us know what you have!

k30a
Old 02-06-2003, 10:44 PM
D. S.

Your second link goes nowhere. There is nothing on the first site that
comes even close.....MAN!! This bugs me..... (pun intended)

D.S.

Old 02-06-2003, 10:56 PM
K30a

That second link comes and goes, not sure why.

Okay, let's solve this! Can you describe the critter in detail?
If it is round on top of the feathery gills then the first poster had it right,
it could be a copepod. I've found them in my pond. They feed on algae, detritus
and bacteria.
If the rest of the body is slender and you and see a head then it might be a
damselfly nymph. They feed on other aquatic larva, invertebrates and worms.
The crawling water beetle larva has feathery gills at its hind end.
So do some gnat larva.

A good book is POND LIFE found in the nature or kids' section of the bookstore.
The latest edition doesn't have the author's name on the front by it is written
by Dr. George K. Reid and is very comprehensive.

k30a
Old 02-06-2003, 11:08 PM
D. S.

Ok...They are long and thin. They have a discernable head and 3 "gill
thingies" at the tail end. They have legs right under the head and they
jump around.
If I could get a pic and send it/ post it somewhere.....HMMMM

D.S.

Old 02-06-2003, 11:20 PM
K30a

I'm willing to bet pond $$ that they are
damselfly nymphs. Eventually they will crawl out
of the pond, on a reed or sedge or cattail. They will split their outer skin at
the 'neck' and crawl out. They need to hang out and wait for their wings to
dry, then fly off.
They love to mosquitoes, midges and gnats among other flying insects. They will
catch it in flight in a basket like device it makes with its front legs and
then will land on a plant stem to tear up its victim and eat him.
Damselflies are daintier than dragonflies. They will fold their wings back at
rest. Dragonflies have their wings fixed and spread.
The whole process starts again as the females lay their eggs in the pond.

k30a

Adding "other" critters to my pond? ppdavid Ponds 12 01-03-2004 03:03 AM
Adding "other" critters to my pond? ppdavid Ponds 0 13-02-2004 02:07 AM
Undercover pond critters K30a Ponds 0 29-10-2003 06:22 AM
Keeping critters away - sprinkler motion sensors Gary Flynn Edible Gardening 5 11-04-2003 03:56 AM
Keeping critters away Jim Carter Edible Gardening 0 08-04-2003 04:32 PM