Old 02-06-2003, 06:32 PM
claude rogers

Default Lotus question, newbie to lotus

I bought a "Rosea" lotus, nelumbo nucifera, is what the tag says, I put it
in a 6 inch deep pot about 16 inches across, set it on a milkcrate so it's
about 4 inches below water surface, it was in what looked to be potting soil
or top soil in a 1 gallon container, left it in that stuff because they told
me the roots we very tender and easily damaged, surrounded it with yard
clay/soil and then covered the soil, not the growing parts, with pea gravel.
Fresh transplant so do I fertilize yet, it has four leaves, floaters, and
one new stem coming up after 3 days. How did I do with this, anything I
should change or do extra...Claude

Old 02-06-2003, 06:56 PM
D. S.

Lotus are heavy feeders. I inserted a bunch of pond plant fertilizer tabs
down in to the soil around my tubers just as soon as I planted them. They
are now sending up aerial leaves.

D.S.

"claude rogers" wrote in message
I bought a "Rosea" lotus, nelumbo nucifera, is what the tag says, I put it
in a 6 inch deep pot about 16 inches across, set it on a milkcrate so it's
about 4 inches below water surface, it was in what looked to be potting

soil
or top soil in a 1 gallon container, left it in that stuff because they

told
me the roots we very tender and easily damaged, surrounded it with yard
clay/soil and then covered the soil, not the growing parts, with pea

gravel.
Fresh transplant so do I fertilize yet, it has four leaves, floaters, and
one new stem coming up after 3 days. How did I do with this, anything I
should change or do extra...Claude

Trailing Lotus-2254 (Lotus berthelotii) Maroochy[_4_] Garden Photos 0 16-09-2012 09:23 AM
Lotus potting question Don Ponds 0 20-05-2003 04:32 PM
Lotus question Ted Ponds 1 09-05-2003 03:32 AM
lotus question ande Ponds 9 23-04-2003 02:08 PM
Nedra/Lotus question Lee Brouillet Ponds 5 31-03-2003 08:08 PM